I Know I Can header Teenager learning with adult

Post-16 education, training and employment for young people with SEND 

We're ambitious for all our young people with SEND in Barnsley and strongly believe you're capable of gaining employment in the future.

Our Targeted Information Advice and Guidance (TIAG) Team can provide you with impartial support in identifying courses and providers that will help you achieve your aspirations of progressing to higher education or employment.

Moving into further education with an EHCP

Things to consider

As you consider your post-16 options, it's important that before you make your choices you are aware that:

  • We'll consult with yours and your parent/guardians post-16 choices, however, if you don't select any we'll also consult with:
    • mainstream providers within the borough
    • specialist providers where mainstream providers can't meet your needs.
  • We'll only consider specialist providers if mainstream colleges or providers can't meet your needs.
  • We'll only consider out of borough providers will if we can't meet your needs in the borough or if it is cost-effective to do so. This is to ensure the we're abiding by the SEND Code of Practice.
  • We won't consider home to school transport for out of borough provision if there's provision in the borough available that meets your needs.

How is further education different to school?

  • Post-16 full-time education and training is three days or 16 hours per week. This is to give you the chance to work part-time, study, socialise with friends and family and participate in other community activities. It's essential for the development of your independence and preparation for adulthood.
  • If you need more than three days per week, you'll need to be assessed by health and social care and the assessments will need to be added to your EHCP.
  • The focus of Post-16 Education is to prepare you for employment or higher education. Where employment or higher education aren't realistic goals, you're likely to focus on developing your independence skills, being part of the community and understanding how to stay healthy. Your EHCP will only continue from year 14 onwards if:
    • You're on a realistic pathway towards employment or higher education.
    • You've been making good progress in years 12 and 13.



Moving into higher education with an EHCP

What support can I get?

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Disabled students allowance is available to help students in higher education. It can help you with extra costs you may incur on your course due to your learning difficulty and/or disability. This can include an ongoing health condition, mental health condition or any particular learning difficulty.

The Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) will need a copy of your Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) as part of their assessment. The following details can be given to ensure this happens:

Email address ehcteam@barnsley.gov.uk

Tel: (01226) 773966

Address: EHC Team, BMBC, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.

  • Once it is confirmed which Higher Education Institution it is you'll attend, it's important they have a copy of your EHCP. Please ensure the relevant person at the university contacts the EHC Team using the contact details above.
  • If you are entitled to, and receive adult social care services, we will maintain that support. This includes you moving to a new location for your course.
  • If you move location for your course, but return to a different location during the holiday periods, we'll make arrangements to ensure ongoing support is in place.
  • Please ensure you speak with your social worker as early as possible so that the right support can be arranged for you.

It's important to make an application as early as possible, you can apply from the beginning of March onwards.

Find out more and how to apply with UCAS.

Student Finance England (SFE)

Student finance is a type of loan available to help cover your course and living costs. Find out more about how to apply for student finance.

Its important to make an application as early as possible, you can apply from the beginning of March onwards.



Support once your EHCP finishes

Adult education and training

There's a range of adult education and training options available to you after your EHCP has ended. You can speak with a TIAG advisor who'll support you with discussing your options. You might also want to contact:

Community groups and clubs

Live well Barnsley is a directory that includes a range of clubs and groups for young people and adults with learning or physical difficulties.


For housing support to be able to live either fully independent or as independent as possible, visit Barnsley FSD.

Health and wellbeing 

Barnsley adult learning disability health service

If you require help and support with your health and wellbeing, please contact them on (01226) 645237 or visit the Barnsley adult learning disability health service website. 

Continuing healthcare

If you feel you require ongoing healthcare as an adult due to your health needs, you can speak to a member of the Barnsley continuing healthcare team regarding CHC.

You can contact them by telephone on (01226) 433634 or by email at barnccg.barnsleycontinuinghealthcare@nhs.net.

Find out more on the Barnsley CCG website.

Independence and social services

If you feel you require support with being independent due to a learning difficulty or a physical difficulty, you can contact adult social services on (01226) 773300 or visit the adult social services page.



Support with gaining employment or setting up a business

Employment and volunteering

Support with finding employment

Mencap work with hundreds of employers to create employment opportunities for people with learning difficulties or physical disabilities. They can support you to prepare for employment and in finding suitable opportunities.

Learning disability employment and volunteering service

Visit the supported employment and volunteering page to find out how they can support you towards acheiving paid employment.

Dedicated employment programme

SCOPE provide a 12-week programme to support you towards acheiving paid employment. You can contact them on 0300 222 5724.

Support finding local employment services

Base UK provide signposting to a range of services in and around Barnsley that can support you to gain employment.

Starting your own business 

Having a learning difficulty or disability should not stop you from achieving your goals. If starting your own business is one of your ambitions, there's support available to help you.

Enterprising Barnsley are dedicated to helping young people learn about starting their own business and making dreams a reality.



Please leave us some feedback