We’re awaiting confirmation about a presumed positive case of COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) in Barnsley.
First, we send our best wishes to the individual and their family as they await the final laboratory results.
I want to reassure people that anyone who has been in close contact with that individual will be contacted by Public Health England.
I would also like to reassure people that we are working closely with our health partners and arrangements are in place to manage the situation.
For the rest of our residents, it’s really important to emphasise that the risk is low, and they should continue to go about their daily lives as normal.
To avoid catching or spreading the virus, I urge people to follow the NHS guidance below:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
If anyone is concerned about symptoms, they should use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service or call NHS 111, rather than contacting or visiting a GP.
You can find more information about COVID-19 on