"Following the Prime Minister's announcement at 8:30 pm on Monday 23 March 2020, we're making the following restrictions to our facilities and services with immediate effect for the foreseeable future:
- Our playgrounds, play areas and equipment, outdoor gyms and our golf course are closed.
- Our parks remain open for those that can walk to them for exercise, but people must not gather in groups of more than two (unless they are people in your household).
- We'll be closing our visitor attraction car parks.
- The market will continue to be open for food only
- We're not conducting weddings or holding weddings or celebration events in any venues.
- We'll still hold funeral ceremonies for the time being, but only with close family present and following the social distancing guidelines.
"These restrictions are in place to try and keep us all safe and to try and minimise the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
"I plea to the residents of Barnsley to follow the Government's guidance; it will give our borough the best chance of limiting the impact of the virus and help to protect lives.
"It's not going to be an easy task, and I don't underestimate the impact this will have on you, your family, friends, businesses and our organisation.
"We'll be doing all we can, working with partners, to support you and our most vulnerable residents.
"If any of these restrictions have a direct impact on your plans, such as your wedding, we'll be contacting you shortly.
"You can find more information about how Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected our services, along with information on our digital services, and support available on our website: www.barnsley.gov.uk/covid19."