94 per cent of Barnsley children get their first choice of primary school this year

Some 2,665 Barnsley children and their families have been told about their primary school choice today (Thursday 16 April), in emails and letters sent out by Barnsley Council.

Of those, 94 per cent of children were placed in their first choice of school.

Rachel Dickinson, Executive Director for People, said: “It’s great news that 2,508 children were given their first choice of primary. This is higher than last year’s figure of 90 per cent which is a real achievement this year considering the current circumstances, and the outcomes for children and parents are very positive overall.

“Managing the applications has once again been a result of great partnership working between our school admissions team and schools. This is a fantastic outcome for children in Barnsley and a great start in young children achieving their potential.”

The breakdown of the national offer day figures for Barnsley is as follows:

  • 2,508 children (94 per cent) were offered their first choice
  • 106 children (3.9 per cent) were offered their second choice of school
  • 20 children (0.75 per cent) got their third choice of school.
  • 31 children (1.2 per cent) did not get any of their choices but have been allocated a school place by Barnsley Council’s School Admissions team.

Overall, 2,634 (99 per cent) children were given at least one of their choices on their application form.

There were 100 late applications which will be processed this month.

Cllr Margaret Bruff, Cabinet Spokesperson for Children’s Services, said: “My sincere thanks go to all the staff who made it possible for families to find out about their child’s primary school place today. It’s been very hard work in exceptional circumstances.

The process is made easier by families completing the application online. We received 92 per cent of applications online this year, compared to 90 per cent last year and I thank everyone who applied this way – they also get the results a few hours earlier!

“The council recognises that some children and families may have received disappointing news today and they will be supported in their next steps.”

Families who don’t want to accept the place offered must contact the School Admissions Team in writing within 10 working days of receiving the offer.

Barnsley Council has to comply with the law that states there must not be more than 30 children in classes containing reception, Year 1 and Year 2 children. This may determine the type of appeal.

The Admissions Team is happy to support any families wishing to appeal. The appeals process will be adjusted given the current national Covid-19 emergency as appeal hearings cannot be held in person. Applicants will be updated as soon as arrangements have been confirmed.

Letters have been sent out to the families of the 126 children who have not yet applied.

This news is linked to Town Spirit, our new way of working better together. We believe that if everyone in Barnsley does just one thing, we can make our borough a more welcoming place to live, work, invest and visit.

We'll do everything we can to help people and their family to achieve their potential by raising aspirations and creating a healthier, safer and better-educated population.

#AcheiveIt and #OwnIt - help us to raise aspirations, confidence and develop enterprising behaviour by:

  • Preparing your children for starting school
  • Helping your children to get to school on time every day
  • Supporting your children to learn out of school
  • Helping young people in your family to stay in education and training
  • Committing to keep learning and develop your career

Please leave us some feedback

A - Z Directory