Barnsley Council is delighted to announce that they have been awarded Gold standard for their work to support Barnsley’s armed forces community. This is the highest award offered by the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS).
The scheme encourages employers to support defence and inspire others to do the same, and awards organisations that pledge to align their values with the Armed Forces Covenant.
The council’s Gold award success is based on meeting criteria that shows what the authority has done to support the armed forces community, including:
- Through the armed forces web page which has comprehensive support for those who serve, or have served, and their families
- Launching Yorkshire’s very first HM Armed Forces Walkway – which has remained the only one in Yorkshire
- Celebrating Armed Forces Day working with armed forces groups to raise the profile and attendance of community-led events
- Implementing human resources policies to support serving or ex-serving personnel who work for the council
- Re-signing the Armed Forces Covenant with local partners to demonstrate continued commitment to the armed forces community
- Establishing a new Armed Forces Covenant board to provide representation and a voice to members of the community
- Working and leading on projects with Sheffield City Region to support homeless veterans. This includes developing e-learning for housing staff about homeless veterans, available to all four local authorities
Cllr Jenny Platts, Cabinet Spokesperson for Adults & Communities, said: “We are absolutely thrilled to have been recognised as Gold standard as part of the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. It follows years of dedication from our teams who continue to work with and support our armed forces community here in Barnsley. There are plenty more projects yet to come, and we’re excited to include the Gold standard logo on the council’s future armed forces work.”
Cllr Joe Hayward, Armed Forces Champion, said: “We’re proud of our armed forces, and this is an achievement that recognises our gratitude towards the community and their families. We hope that everyone can see the impact of our work, and we’ll continue to fight for our armed forces just as they fought for us.”
More information on the scheme can be found on the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme website.