As the A628 Dodworth Road improvement scheme continues, the following traffic management and diversions will be in place. Please plan extra time for your journey. We thank all residents for their patience and understanding during this time, allowing contractors to carry out this work safely.
Traffic management - Pogmoor Road
From Tuesday 11 January 2022: mid-week night working traffic management - including road closure of Pogmoor Road
- What: Four nights of traffic management and surfacing works
- When: Tuesday 11 until Friday 14 January 2022, from 8pm to 5am
- Where: Pogmoor Road from the railway bridge to Garden Court
- Why: The works include surfacing to tie-in to the new gyratory road. Road closure and night working is required due to insufficient room for safety zones and safe passage of traffic. A road closure and diversion will be in place to control traffic while the work is carried out.
We apologise for any noise or disruption caused; the contractor has been notifying affected residents by letter and we will do all we can to keep the disruption and noise to a minimum.
Following these evenings works on the 11 January 2022, the new gyratory system will become operational from 14 January 2022.
Clear signage will be in place to all locations off the gyratory.
Traffic management – Pogmoor Road/Dodworth Road/Broadway
- What: Initial opening of new gyratory
- When: Friday 14 January 2022
- Where: Pogmoor Road/Dodworth Road/Broadway
- Why: Following the Pogmoor Road night working surfacing, the gyratory will be opened to vehicles from the above date.
Vehicle access to Horizon College and 188 to 206 Dodworth Road
- Vehicles wishing to access Horizon College must follow the diversion to Barnsley town centre when travelling from Pogmoor Road or M1 direction.
- Vehicles travelling from Barnsley town centre can access the college without following any diversion.
- There will be a no right turn when exiting the college or 188 to 206 Dodworth Road. All vehicles must turn left and follow the diversion signage or on to the gyratory.
- Vehicles wishing to travel to Barnsley town centre or Pogmoor Road from the college or 188 to 206 Dodworth Road must follow the new gyratory.
Vehicle movements within Horizon College
- There will be a one-way system within the college car park for both cars/vans and buses, with signage in place.
- All safe pedestrian routes are clearly marked (see below). All other areas not marked will be out of bounds to members of the public. All working areas will be securely fenced off.
- Please use all existing/temporary crossing points at all times.
- Pedestrians should not cross live highways at any time. Additional controlled crossing points will also be installed on the Dodworth Road/Broadway/Pogmoor Road junction.
- Pedestrian access will also be available to Horizon College. Again, these routes are clearly marked.
You can view all the plans below -
Councillor Tim Cheetham, Cabinet Spokesperson for Place (Regeneration and Culture), said: “To date, most of the construction works for this scheme have been contained within the site boundary to create the gyratory.
“During January 2022, the scheme will enter the final phases; there will be more activity seen off-site due to the partial opening of the gyratory. Works will include connecting the existing road to the new gyratory. To enable this to happen, the gyratory will be opened in phases that will coincide with the switching on of the new traffic controls during the spring.
“The main works contract is expected to be completed in spring 2022.
“The council would like to thank residents in advance for their patience and understanding as we approach the most complex and final phases of works. We look forward to the completion of the project, which is vital to support our future business and housing growth plans, and improve access to our new town centre."
Full information can be found on our ‘key projects’ webpage under ‘temporary traffic management’