Additional road closures will be in place for Barnsley FC’s home game against Derby County on Saturday 25 February 2023.
They will take place from 3.45pm until approximately 6.30pm, subject to policing needs.
In addition, the temporary footbridge over the Jumble Lane crossing will be closed from an hour before kick-off (2pm) until an hour after full time (6pm). This is to support the safety of fans and other users. This is subject to change based on individual matches.
The alternative walking routes to Oakwell include:
There will be no access for supporters via the Alhambra Centre or The Glass Works.
As part of the operation, the following changes will be in place at Barnsley Interchange, if needed:
- There may be no access through the Interchange. The bridge between the bus station and the railway station may be closed except for those with access needs, passengers with a valid train ticket, or Buzz Bingo members with a valid pass/permit.
- Pedestrian access to and from the bus station will, as necessary, be via Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way.
- Access to the Interchange from Schwäbisch Gmünd Way will, as necessary, be for access to the railway station only. This includes being open for fans travelling to and from the game by rail.
- The existing temporary accessible route via Schwäbisch Gmünd Way and the transport interchange is available for those with access needs.
Supporters are reminded to use the designated and installed crossing points on the roads for their safety and other match-going fans.
Wheelchair users or supporters with pushchairs are advised to use the pavement/footway on the Courthouse side of Eldon Street during peak times to avoid congestion.
Fans are also advised to pay attention to road signs when travelling to and from the game.
To help the access routes for this game, there will be full closures of:
- Harborough Hill exit slip roads
- Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Eldon Street North (from Bridge Street/James Street to the Interchange bus entrance)
- Mottram Street
- Pontefract Road beneath the Harborough Hill flyover
These will be in place from half-time until approximately 6.30pm, depending on police needs.
A Barnsley Council traffic management contractor will manage the road closures. There are no additional road closures around Oakwell.
- Church Street
- Eldon Street (including taxi rank)
- Market Hill
- Shambles Street
- St Mary’s Place
- Old Mill Lane
- Regent Street (except no left turn onto Eldon Street North other than for buses accessing the Interchange)
For vehicle users:
- Vehicle access to the Metrodome is maintained via Wesley Street, Lambra Road, Pontefract Road and Bala Street. Coach access can be managed as necessary from the uphill exit slip road from Harborough Hill.
- Vehicle access to Oakwell is maintained via Pontefract Road and Grove Street.
- Drop-off and pick-up for Buzz Bingo is via Midland Street and accessing via the Interchange (access may, on occasions, be restricted for operational reasons); Pontefract Road (between Clyde Street and Bala Street with access via Wesley Street, Lambra Road and Pontefract Road) or Eldon Street North.
- There is no left turn from Regent Street except for buses to access the Interchange.
- The railway station car park will be shut, and customers will not be able to enter or leave during the closure times. Pick up and drop off will be available on Eldon Street North or Midland Street. Cars can park on Eldon Street for pick up - parking on the double yellow lines between Honeywell Street/Beckett Street and Schwabisch Gmund Way with the driver remaining in the vehicle.
- Market Gate car park will be closed all day.
- Where vehicle users approach a road closure, they will not be allowed access, and an alternative route will need to be used. Any violation of the road closure may constitute a road traffic offence and police officers on site will be asked to take necessary action for those ignoring the road closure, registration numbers may also be provided to the police for consideration of any appropriate action.
Market Gate Bridge will link the existing public transport and the Market Gate car park to The Glass Works. It will be fully accessible and will accommodate footfall on match days.
For a full list of Barnsley FC fixtures, please visit the club website. Please note all fixtures are subject to change.
More information on parking, including entering and leaving The Glass Works car park, can be found on our parking webpage.
Barnsley Council, Barnsley FC, Northern Railway and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your continued patience. These arrangements will end upon completing the new Market Gate Bridge, which will be open on matchdays.