Throughout October, Barnsley Council will recognise outstanding contribution shown by businesses, community groups, voluntary groups, key workers and residents throughout the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic with a one-of-a-kind Barnsley Spirit Mayor’s Award.
The Mayor’s Award will rightfully recognise dedication, resilience and true community spirit shown by people in the community that have gone to extraordinary lengths to support Barnsley throughout the pandemic. As a token of gratitude to acknowledge these achievements, each person recognised will receive a letter along with a medal awarded from the Mayor.
Award winners will also be invited to a special event with the Mayor at a later date, once Coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions permit, to celebrate this achievement further.
To receive a Barnsley Spirit award, people will be asked to nominate a person or group that have shown outstanding contribution in one of the following categories:
- Frontline worker(s) who have supported people who need help the most and those with Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Barnsley.
- Those who have provided critical care to Coronavirus (COVID-19) patients in Barnsley.
- Those who have developed innovative solutions to support people who need help the most and those with Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Barnsley.
- Those who have gone to extraordinary lengths to keep critical services going in Barnsley.
- Those who have volunteered in the community or for services/organisations to support the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Barnsley.
Cllr Pauline Markham, Mayor of Barnsley, said: "These awards are an example of the incredible community spirit that we harness in Barnsley; I am honoured to be able to thank every person that will be recognised for their vital role that they have played to keep Barnsley moving throughout the pandemic.
"If you know somebody that has contributed to supporting our residents and communities during Coronavirus (COVID-19), please share their story, so we give them the recognition that they deserve."
Nominations for the Mayor's Award open on Thursday 1 October. Residents can nominate someone for a Barnsley Spirit Award online or by calling 01226 775505, Monday to Thursday 9 am – 5 pm and Friday 9 am – 4.30 pm.
Residents will have until Friday 30 October to nominate a person or community group for an award. After this time letters and medals will be sent out to those who have been awarded. Award winners are encouraged to share their stories and photographs of themselves with their medals on social media, tagging in Barnsley Council Facebook and Barnsley Council Twitter.