Finding a parking space in the town centre is now easier for shoppers and visitors since the recent introduction of the new Saturday free three-hour parking restrictions in council car parks.
During the transition of the parking changes, and to give people the chance to adjust, the council has taken a soft approach to enforcement of the new restrictions. Since the introduction of the changes at the beginning of August, the council hasn’t issued any fines; instead, advice slips were issued to motorists who had failed to display a free ticket or stayed beyond the three-hour limit.
From Saturday 29 September, enforcement in the car parks will begin, and motorists who fail to display a free ticket or stay longer than the three-hour limit will be issued with a fine.
Here are a few tips to help you park, but please check the signs in the car park that say ‘SATURDAY 3HRS FREE’.
- If the machine has a yellow bag over it, parking in that location will be free all day.
- If there isn’t a yellow bag over the machine you will need to get a ticket; the ticket will be free in a car park or payable on-street.
- If you’re not sure, press the green button prior to making any payment. If a ticket is produced, you can park free for a maximum of three hours, but you will not be able to return to the same car park that day. If a ticket isn’t produced, you will need to pay for the duration you want to stay. You can pay to stay as long as you like on-street.
Three-hour free parking is available at:
- Grahams Orchard car park
- John Street car park
- Wellington House car park
- Market Gate car park
- Part of Courthouse upper car park next to the Digital Media Centre and in front of The Core (check signs)
- Part of Courthouse lower car park (red bays)
If you’re here for the football or just need to stay longer than three hours, FREE ALL DAY parking is still available around the town.
Free all day parking is available at:
- Part of Courthouse upper car park (next to the BT exchange) check signs
- Part of Courthouse lower car park (white bays)
- Sackville Street
- Burleigh Street
- Joseph Street
- Mark Street
- Pitt St
- St Marys
Free all day on-street parking is available at:
- Falcon Street
- St Marys Gate
- York Street
- Burleigh Street
- Thomas Street
For more information about parking in the town centre visit barnsley.gov.uk/parking