The Age Friendly Barnsley Festival is taking place between Monday 27 September and Friday 1 October. Leading up to International Older People’s Day on 1 October, the festival is a celebration of making the most of life.
The Age Friendly Barnsley steering group, a partnership led by Age UK Barnsley and Barnsley Council, is organising the festival.
Barnsley is part of the UK network of Age Friendly communities coordinated by the Centre for Ageing Better. Our ambition is for everyone in Barnsley to enjoy healthy and active ageing. Age Friendly communities create more opportunities for people to continue to stay in their homes, participate in the activities they value and be part of their communities for as long as possible.
In previous years, one-day celebration events have taken place in locations such as the Metrodome and Barnsley Civic. Following the success of previous events, this year there’ll be a number of activities taking place across the borough to increase opportunities for more people to participate and celebrate with us.
Cllr Jenny Platts, Cabinet Spokesperson for Communities at Barnsley Council, said: “Working alongside Age UK Barnsley, we’re really proud of the work we’re doing to help everyone in our borough enjoy healthy and active ageing. The festival is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate Age Friendly Barnsley, with a wide range of activities across the borough for older people and others to get involved in.”
Jane Holliday, CEO at Age UK Barnsley, said: ‘The festival will be a celebration of later life with a variety of events across the week tying in with International Older People’s Day. We’re hoping it will be an encouragement for people to have the best later life they can whilst also reminding them of the opportunities, assistance and resources that are available locally.’
There's a timetable of the events taking place throughout the week on our website. Some of the festival highlights include:
- Barnsley u3a (Bu3a) Old Blowers Brass Band will be in the new Town Square, from 10.30am on Thursday 30 September.
- Age Friendly Barnsley and Positive Images of Ageing Presentation, taking place all week at The Lightbox.
- Age Friendly Barnsley Walking Football and bowls invitation matches.
- Love Later Life events throughout the week, with one taking place in each of the six Barnsley Council areas. There’ll be fun, food and entertainment for the over 50s with information about getting more active and involved (including falls prevention).
- Community walks taking place across Barnsley in conjunction with Walk Well Barnsley.
Throughout the week look out for the Age Friendly Barnsley flag and purple lighting of the fountain and Town Hall.
You can take a look at the events taking place throughout the week on our website. For further details about the festival, contact Age UK Barnsley on 01226 776820.