A community consultation exercise to gather views on the draft Barnsley West (MU1) Masterplan Framework will begin on Thursday, 12 September 2019.
Barnsley Council is working in collaboration with developers Strata and Sterling Capitol and their representatives to prepare a draft Masterplan Framework for site MU1, land to the south of Barugh Green Road. The sites have already been allocated for development within the adopted Local Plan and can altogether accommodate around 1,700 new homes and 43 hectares of land for employment use.
Alongside housing and employment land, the site can also include:
- A new primary school
- Small shops and community facilities
- Brand-new infrastructure including an access link road
- Open green space with wildlife corridors, watercourses and key pedestrian and cycle links
The draft Masterplan Framework also looks at:
- Local amenities – shops, services and public transport
- Local infrastructure – road network, drainage and utilities and digital infrastructure
- Technical constraints - land stability, biodiversity and heritage
- Design considerations – movement and transport, placemaking principles, green space, recreational facilities, health, sustainability and energy usage
The consultation will run for six weeks and take place from Thursday, 12 September 2019 to Thursday, 24 October 2019.
The details for the draft Masterplan Framework and consultation will be available online at www.barnsleywest.co.uk. Display boards and printed information/questionnaires can also be found at the Library @ the Lightbox.
Two exhibition drop-in events are being held as part of the consultation on:
- Monday, 23 September 2019, 3pm to 7pm at Barugh Green Private Members Club, Higham Common Road, Higham, S75 1LD
- Thursday, 10 October 2019, 3pm to 7pm at St Thomas Community Centre, Church Street, Gawber, S75 2RL
Feedback received from the consultation will be reviewed and fed into the final Masterplan Framework which will need to be approved by Full Council before adoption.
Cllr Tim Cheetham, Cabinet Spokesperson for Regeneration and Culture, said: "MU1 is the largest masterplan area proposed in Barnsley from the Local Plan and it’s important we consider the impact of the potential development through this framework. This includes overall infrastructure requirements such as a new primary school, community use, and environmental enhancements such as accessible public open space.
"The consultation will provide nearby residents, businesses and community groups with the opportunity to shape the future of the site. I encourage anyone with an interest in the area to complete the online consultation or attend one of the drop-in events. Your views are important to us, and all feedback will be analysed to inform the final masterplanning framework."
Further information on the consultation and the Barnsley West (MU1) masterplan area can be found at barnsley.gov.uk/masterplanning.
This news is linked to Town Spirit. Town Spirit shows what we can all do to take ownership in making Barnsley a better place to live, work, invest and visit. Have pride in your community and work together to make the whole borough thrive.
We’re committed to #BuildIt and #DevelopIt by making sure that we make the most of the land available to meet our residents’ needs alongside growing Barnsley’s economy. #OwnIt by living in and investing in our beautiful borough