Gas Safety Week: Barnsley Council makes sure takeaway premises are gas safe

Barnsley Council is proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2019, taking place from 16 to 22 September.

Gas Safety Week is an annual event to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.  

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it. 

Barnsley Council is responsible for the regulation of health and safety in hot food takeaway shops and has written to every takeaway in the borough to advise them as to how to comply and ensure the safety of their employees, neighbours and customers.

The law places duties on the responsible person (employer) at any place of work to ensure that any gas appliances, installation pipework and flues under their control, are maintained in a safe condition to prevent risk of injury. If this applies to you, you are duty-bound to do the following:

  • Gas equipment must be installed, commissioned and maintained by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. You may be required to provide evidence of this during an inspection by the Environmental Health Officer (EHO), so ask your Gas Safe registered engineer to provide you with the relevant paperwork. If the EHO does not receive evidence of ongoing maintenance or if there are any safety concerns, they may serve a formal notice stating what actions must be taken to comply with the law.
  • Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and appropriately qualified for the type of work you need doing. Not all Gas Safe registered engineers can work on all types of gas or appliances. The onus is on you to ensure that the engineer is qualified to work on your gas supply and pipework, as well as the type of gas appliances you have. For example:

In a fish and chip shop the engineer must be qualified to work on:

  • Natural gas/LPG
  • Catering
  • Fish and chip range

Where there is other commercial catering equipment the engineer must be qualified to work on:

  • Natural gas/LPG
  • Catering
  • The appliance type - for example, commercial catering range cookers

Environmental Health Officers and Health and Safety Inspectors from Barnsley Council’s Regulatory Services department expect to see at least an annual safety check of the whole gas installation, not just the appliances. Where they come across poorly installed, maintained, cleaned or ventilated gas equipment or installations they are likely to serve an improvement notice. 

You can find or check a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area and check their qualifications at or call 0800 408 5500.

To find out more about Barnsley Regulatory Services or to report concerns visit or call 01226 773 555.

Please leave us some feedback

A - Z Directory