Matchday road, interchange and temporary bridge closures for Barnsley FC home games will be in place earlier than usual for the upcoming derby against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday 8 February.
Football supporters and town centre visitors are being reminded about changes to the Jumble Lane crossing for the upcoming home game – when additional road and car park closures will also be in place.
Jumble Lane crossing was closed last year by Network Rail because of safety reasons. A temporary bridge was put in place to allow pedestrians to safely cross over the railway line.
For Barnsley’s home game against Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday 8 February, 1.30pm kick-off), Jumble Lane bridge will close at 12.30pm and re open at 4.30pm for the safety of fans and other users. Times are subject to change dependent on operational needs.
The alternative walking routes include:
- There will be no access for supporters via the Alhambra Centre.
- Barnsley fans will be directed from Barnsley Interchange along Schwäbisch Gmünd Way, along Pontefract Road and then Queen’s Road to and from Oakwell.
- Barnsley fans travelling by car should access the Queen’s Ground away car park via Harborough Hill and Queen’s Street rather than Pontefract Road and Grove Street.
- Following the game, home supporters are asked to leave along Pontefract Road while away fans should go from Queen’s Ground.
- Check with your train operators whether extra carriages will be put on for fans, there may be delays in accessing trains and fans should expect to have to queue and consider the weather forecast.
- The Hackney Carriages taxi rank – previously located on Midland Street - is now located on Eldon Street.
Road closures : Roads will be affected from 12.30pm to 4.30pm
Supporters are also reminded that for this Saturdays’ game:
- Market Gate Car park will be closed. Supporters are advised to use alternative town centre parking.
- In addition, a number of closures to roads and access points will be in place around the town.
- Part of Eldon Street North will be closed in both directions from 12.30pm between its junction with Schwabisch Gmund Way and the Interchange entrance with diversions via Old Mill Lane, Huddersfield Road, Church Street and Regent Street. The part closed will reopen as soon as operational needs allow.
- Part of Pontefract Road will be closed from 12.30pm. The part closed will reopen as soon as operational needs allow.
- Schwabisch Gmund Way will be closed from 12.30pm - associated side-streets will be affected by this closure. The road will be re-open as soon as operational needs allow.
- Harborough Hill - Northbound off and Southbound off exit slip roads will be closed.
All fans are reminded that:
- Barnsley Interchange bridge will be closed from 12.30pm to 1:30pm and 3.15pm to 4.15pm, except for those with access needs.
- Access to and from the bus station side of the Interchange will be via Eldon Street.
- Access to the Interchange from Schwäbisch Gmünd Way will be for access to the railway station only.
- The existing temporary accessible route via Schwäbisch Gmünd Way and the transport interchange is available for those with access needs.
- For the Sheffield Wednesday game, home fans usually travelling by train are encouraged to take alternative transport into the town centre as the Interchange will be heavily congested with away supporters and delays in accessing the railway station should be anticipated. Fans wishing to travel by bus can visit travelsouthyorkshire.com to plan their journeys.
- If travelling by bus, fans are encouraged to exit the bus before arriving at the Interchange to avoid expected crowd congestion because of the bridge closure.
- Bus services will also be diverted during this time: inbound via Harborough Hill Road, Old Mill Lane, Church Street and Regent Street, outbound via Eldon Street, Market Hill, St Mary’s Gate, Old Mill Lane, Sheffield Road.
- Supporters are reminded to use the designated and installed crossing points on the roads for their own safety and the safety of other match-going fans. An additional crossing point will be in place on Pontefract Road for the Sheffield Wednesday game.
- Wheelchair users or supporters with pushchairs are advised to use the pavement/footway on the Court House side of Eldon Street during peak times to avoid congestion.
- Fans are also advised to pay attention to road signs when travelling to and from the game.
- Market Gate Bridge will link the existing public transport and the Market Gate car park to The Glass Works as part of the redevelopment of Barnsley town centre. It will be fully accessible and will accommodate footfall on match days.
A full list of Barnsley FC fixtures can be found here.
For more information on parking, click here.
Find out more about Travel South Yorkshire disruptions here.
Barnsley Council, Barnsley FC and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.