There are three weeks left to nominate someone who you think is deserving of a place on the prestigious Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2022. Although this allows plenty of time, we’re urging you to make sure you leave enough time to complete and submit your nomination. Nominations for this round of honours close at 10am on Wednesday 1 September.
The Queen awards honorary titles to deserving people from all walks of life making sure people who are not in the public eye are recognised for their valuable service, achievements and contribution - perhaps to charity, to their community or profession. Barnsley is full of these people and we mustn’t waste the opportunity to give them the recognition they deserve.
Recipients deserving of an honour are announced twice a year – at New Year and on the Queen’s official birthday. However, the 2022 Birthday Honours announcement is being brought forward slightly next year to coincide with the Queens Platinum Jubilee on 2 June 2022.
Nominations for the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for 2022 are being particularly welcomed for:
- Individuals delivering exceptional local public services for communities and leading innovation and reform in local government.
- Volunteers and individuals working within their local community.
- Individuals who have gone well beyond the call of duty to deliver for people during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Those helping to build a more united and integrated country. They could be supporting community integration and interfaith work.
- Those in the private and public sector ensuring we build the homes and places that our country needs.
- Recognising enterprise and entrepreneurship.
The nomination process involves completing an online form - including the requirement to complete a citation that tells the story of what the candidate has done and how they’ve made a difference. Two letters of support are also required. There’s a great deal of support and guidance available on how to write and submit a good nomination which we would encourage you to read to get the most from your application.
The Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr Makinson said: “We know that Barnsley is full of individuals to be proud of – whether that be through volunteering or working tirelessly to achieve local ambition. We also know that there are individuals within our borough from a diverse range of backgrounds who are whole heartedly worthy of an honour.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to give those people the recognition they deserve and to pay tribute to those people in our community that have gone above and beyond. So, I’d really urge you to take a moment to think if you know or work with someone who deserves this recognition and I hope to see some Barnsley locals on the list next year!”