After much anticipation, the judges have announced the winning names of Barnsley Council’s new fleet of gritters.
Last month, the Council launched a competition for young people across Barnsley to get involved in naming our 12 new gritters.
An incredible 218 entries were made:
- Barnsleigh - The Ellis C of E Primary School and Cawthorne C of E Primary School
- Buzz Iceclear - Holy Rood Catholic Primary School and Trinity Academy St Edward's
- Can I Grit it? I Cannon 'all - Cawthorne C of E Primary School
- Hagrit - Jump Primary School
- Licence to Chill - Shafton Primary School
- Monk Grit-on - Athersley South Primary School
- Sir David Scattenborough - Holy Rood Catholic Primary School
- Sir Steve Ploughton - Jump Primary School
- Snowbi-Wan Kenobi - Springvale Primary School
- Snowbody's Perfect - Queens Road Academy
- Snowy McSnowplough - Gooseacre Primary School
- The Grittest Snowman - Springvale Primary School
The winning names will be presented on the front of the gritter throughout its lifetime. Our winners will now receive their prizes from our supplier Schmitt and have the opportunity to sit in one of our new vehicles.
Cllr James Higginbottom, Cabinet Spokesperson for Environment and Highways said: “We’ve had lots of creative gritter names put forward in our competition making it really difficult to pick just 12.”
“I look forward to seeing our newly named gritters out about this winter keeping Barnsley’s roads moving.”
“I’d like to say a huge thank you to all the schools and young people who took part in our competition!”