Arranging and paying for your own support

How do I arrange my own care services?

If you don't qualify for help with paying for your care services, or you would prefer to arrange and pay for your own services, we can provide you with information about the services available to meet your needs.  We'll also tell you how to get back in touch with us if your circumstances change. You can find services and support to buy or arrange yourself in our online adult health and care directory. You can also read our older people's guide.

People arrange and pay for their own social care services for a number of reasons, it may be because:

  • you have chosen not to ask us for help
  • you don't qualify for help from us and are arranging some services and support yourself
  • you have had a social care assessment but you don't want to tell us about your finances, so we'll assume that you are paying for any care services that you need yourself
  • you have income or savings above the maximum figure allowed

This quick online guide to home care  tells you what you should expect if you're arranging your own services. 

Getting some independent financial advice

Your health needs might change as you get older and it’s important to think about planning for these changes, especially around any care and support you may need.

You need to seek independent financial advice so that you can make the right decision for you.

Independent financial advisers can advise on how you can make your money work best for you to help cover any care and support costs. They have specialist knowledge to be able to assess your needs and can make sure you’re claiming all the benefits and allowances you’re entitled to.

Paying for financial advice

Many independent financial advisers charge either a fee or commission. Make sure you ask them when you first speak to them.

Many advisers do offer an initial free consultation - once again, it’s important you ask them at the beginning so you are clear about any fees or charges there may be.

Find a financial adviser

You can find an independent financial adviser on the following websites: