Having a financial assessment

If you've had a social care assessment and you qualify for some help from us, we'll look at your finances. We do this to work out how much you need to pay towards your care and support. We call this a financial assessment.  

We use national guidance to calculate how much people can afford to pay. This is set out in the Care Act 2014. How much you pay depends on whether you're receiving care at home or moving into a care home.

If you have savings of more than £23,250, we'll expect you to pay the full cost of any services you receive. This means you'll be classed as self funding.

If you don't want a financial assessment we'll assume that you'll pay the full cost of your care. Read more about arranging your own care services and financial assessments.  

How we work out your contribution towards your care

At your financial assessment we'll look at how much income you're receiving from:

  • disability or other benefits 
  • your pension
  • your savings, ISAs, Premium Bonds or other investments
  • your earnings 
  • other capital assets you may have (this could include the value of your home if you're moving into residential care)

We never take into account the value of your home when calculating your contribution for support to live at home.

For more information see our financial contributions policy.

The value of your savings

We consider savings to be any money you have in:

  • current accounts
  • savings accounts
  • ISAs
  • Premium Bonds
  • other investments

Work out what you may need to pay for your care

Our online contribution calculator for adult social care charges is quick and easy-to-use. It gives you an idea of what you may need to pay towards your care services. It includes a step-by-step user guide and answers to frequently asked questions.

The calculation is based on the information you provide about your income, savings and expenditure. It collects the same details that we use in a financial assessment. 

It's confidential and free to use. We don't see the information you're putting into the calculator. You may want to save and print out the results. You can share these with us if you do choose to go ahead with a financial assessment.

If you're not able to access or use the calculator to work out how much you may need to pay, please call us on (01226) 773300.

You can also watch a video guide on how to use our online contribution calculator.

If your financial situation changes

You'll need to tell us if there are any changes to your income or savings. We'll need to do another financial assessment.

Independent financial advice

If you have to pay full cost for your care services, you may want to speak to a financial adviser. They can advise you how to meet the cost of care.  

You'll find details for financial advisers in your local area telephone directory or by visiting the Unbiased website. Once you've chosen an adviser, make sure that they're registered and authorised with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can do this by checking on the FCA website or by calling freephone 0300 500 8082.