You can get professional careers advice by seeing a support advisor at one of our adult learning centres.
They can help you with:
- writing or developing your CV.
- completing job applications and preparing for interviews.
- searching for jobs or voluntary work.
- deciding what to do next after you’ve completed a course.
- finding the right support for a particular problem.
Taking part in work experience or volunteering with an organisation could help you to decide the sort of career and job role you're interested in. Find out more about these, as well as job profiles and apprenticeships, below.
Work experience is usually for a set period of time and for a particular purpose. It allows you to:
- get an understanding of the sort of career you'd like to work in
- learn new skills and develop your existing ones
- show interest to an employer who may be able to offer you an opportunity in the future
- stand out from other candidates when applying for jobs
You might be able to find a work experience opportunity by asking employers if they'd consider letting you work for them for two to four weeks.
Volunteering allows you to:
- learn new skills and increase your employability
- meet new people
- increase your confidence and improve your self esteem
There's lots of different volunteering opportunities available; search for one near you on the Do-it website or find out about the support available through Barnsley CVS for you to start volunteering.
Apprenticeships combine practical on-the-job training with studying towards a qualification. They can be undertaken by anyone aged between 16 and 65.
As an apprentice you'll:
- work alongside experienced staff and gain job-specific skills
- earn a wage and get holiday pay
- be given time to study related to your role (20% off-the-job training)
The National Careers Service website includes job profile information for a wide variety of roles. For each job it includes details of:
- the skills and qualifications required
- what the work is like
- the salary you could expect
- what the career prospects are
You can also find graduate job profiles on the Prospects website.