This course is for adults with learning difficulties and/or disabilities who want to develop their knowledge and understanding about nature.
Length of course
The course runs for 12 weeks from September to February and February to July. The classes will be 2 hours long.
You'll learn about different parts of nature. You will also look at things about nature you're interested in.
These may include:
- different animals and where they live, how they live and what they eat
- insects and where they live, how they live and what they eat
- different plants
- visiting places of interest e.g. Wildlife reserves
- researching using the internet
- using digital cameras to create a portfolio
- making bird food and feeders
- making insect hotels
- looking at how the seasons change how plants and animals live and grow
- looking at nocturnal (night living animals) and how they live.
- animal, plant and insect life cycles
How to apply
You need to book an appointment with us to discuss your learning needs before you can start the course, to help you choose the right course and level for you. We'll also look at any additional support or learning materials that you may need.
The appointments take place at Wellington House in Barnsley town centre and last for about an hour.
If you're already learning with our LLDD department your tutor can tell you about your next steps.
The cost of the course is £144.20 which includes all tuition and materials.
If you're under 24, or receive certain benefits, you may be entitled to a fee reduction or remission. See our information about paying for a course for details.
What you can do next
You can move onto further adult learning courses in independent living, work based skills and leisure.
If you've have been studying on one of our work skills courses you may want to apply for a job or volunteer.
What our clients say
I like learning about different things, meeting new people, helping other people.
I think that the course is doing me good, because I am learning new skills.
I voted for the first time after learning about voting which I really enjoyed.
I think the teacher is a very caring person. I would like to come back next year.