If you enjoy working with people, a career in social care could open up a whole host of options to you.
To help get you onto the social care careers path, you can get free training with our Future Carers programme.
The aim of this course is to give you the basic knowledge and skills to be successful in a care worker interview. You'll gain knowledge to complete the Care Certificate to a good standard and start a career as a social care worker for adults, children or young people.
Successful completion of this course will result in you getting your level 1 certificate in introduction to health, social care and children’s and young people’s settings. You'll also gain the level 1 certificate in employability skills.
This course is great if you've no previous formal experience of working in care. It's also suitable if you want a refresh before you return to work in care.
You need to commit to 100% attendance of the six week programme. You also need to complete the knowledge based assignments to achieve the qualification.
This course will help you to:
- Learn with, and from, others working towards a similar personal goal as you. This will be in a safe and non-judgmental environment.
- Understand the types of roles and requirements within social care.
- Recognise your personal skills and qualities, and areas of required improvement with regard to finding a role in care.
- Gain the skills and knowledge to complete the Care Certificate with confidence.
- Take part in awareness sessions with sector specific professionals.
- Provide you with the skills, knowledge and ability needed to progress onto higher levels of study in the care sector.
You'll also build the following skills for work:
- Working as part of a team, sharing your ideas and experience to complete tasks.
- Have a positive attitude to plan your own work and complete it within a set timeframe.
- Be able to adapt the way you work when things change.
- Be resilient.
- Create or update a high quality care related CV.
- Complete a care related application form to increase your chances of getting a job interview.
- Meet with managers and service users from a range of care settings in group sessions. You'll be able to make a good first impression, ask questions, and ask about a guaranteed interview.
- Increase your confidence with a practice interview.
- Earn a reference from a well-respected training provider.
- Recognise the need for punctuality and a positive attendance record.
- Improve active listening skills and follow instructions accurately.
- Start to use professional care sector language.
- Develop basic digital skills and confidence using office packages.
- Develop your literacy, numeracy and digital skills.
The Future Carers programme takes place four days a week (Monday to Thursday) for six week. The days run from 9.30am to 3pm.
Each session will include:
- Classroom learning, independent research, tasks and assignments.
- Support from the course tutor.
- Independent and group activities throughout the course.
- Some independent working will be needed after the sessions.
- Tutor support via Teams for Education.
What you need
- A large notepad and stationery (including black pens).
- A folder for loose paper handouts.
- A copy of your latest CV.
- A clear calendar to make sure you can attend all of the sessions.
- Basic IT skills are useful but not essential.
- be genuinely interested in working in the care sector
- be work ready
- have a clean Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- be committed to completing the course
The cost of the course is £474.25. This includes your tuition and awarding organisation fees. You can pay the fee monthly by Direct Debit over the duration of your course.
You may be entitled to fee remission/fee reduction depending on your circumstances. Contact us for more details.
How to apply
- Contact us online.
- Call us on (01226) 775270.
- Email us at email@example.com.
- Like us on Facebook and send us a message.
- Speak to your work coach at the JCP.
Employment in the health and social care field
Placements can be arranged for learners who want hands on experience before applying for a role in care.
Level 2 health and social care courses
The Future Carers programme has helped hundreds of local people to step into care roles for over 16 years. Many care home managers, deputy managers, senior carers and social care workers started from this course.
The programme has also proved to be an excellent first step for those who are thinking about going into nursing.
Why choose us?
The course has given me the ability and confidence to re-write my CV which has resulted in me gaining a very important interview
I have enjoyed the course, it has been fun learning about care and meeting new people. I have used the extra skills in filling out care application forms, It's a great course to come on if you want to go into care.