This course is intended for adults who have limited digital skills and knowledge, or don’t understand basic key terminology, needed to support you in work and everyday life. You'll develop a wider awareness and increase your knowledge in all five of the key digital skill areas of communicating, using devices and handling information, transacting, problem solving and being safe and legal online. During the course there will be plenty of hands-on activities where you will engage with real time and simulated tasks, especially when understanding online transactions, to help build your confidence as you develop your digital skills.
It's an ideal steppingstone if you don't feel confident in using digital skills independently or if you're not quite ready to work towards our accredited Essential Digital Skills course.
The focus is developing your digital skills and supporting you to become independent with these key skills and terminology.
This course will enable you to:
Develop digital skills and increase awareness of key terminology
- Connect your device to a safe and secure wifi network
- Know how to keep passwords and personal information safe
- Update and change your password when prompted to do so
Develop your transacting skills for work and life
- Access and use public services online, including filling in forms.
Interact with digital devices and handle information properly
- Understand and evaluate what information or content may, or may not, be reliable.
- Understand how to comply with your organisations policy for IT use
Create, edit and store digital content
- Understand that the cloud is a way to store information and content in a remote location
- Organise information and content using files and folders on a device or the cloud use Microsoft Office to create working documents
Share content and communicate effectively using digital devices
- Understand the importance of communicating securely
- Communicate with others digitally using email
share documents with others by attaching them to an email
Be safe, confident and responsible online
- Understand the risks and threats involved in carrying out activities online and the importance of working securely
- Be aware of common scams and what you can do to keep yourself safe
- Understand that online activity produces a permanent record which could be accessed by others and used both now and in the future
- Activate pop-up blockers on your web browser to reduce the threat from malicious sites
You'll also develop the following skills for work:
- Work as part of a team, sharing ideas and motivating peers to complete a task
- Have a positive attitude to plan your own work and complete it effectively within a timeframe
- Be a good listener and follow instructions accurately
- Be resilient and have the ability to stick with a task, even if things don’t go to plan, and learn from setbacks
- Literacy and numeracy skills will be supported throughout the course
- 2 x 2.5 hours session x 10 weeks
- Tutor led sessions
- At least 30 minutes of individual tasks to be completed after each session
- Teams for Education – an online tool where you will access resources and participate in discussions
What do you need?
- A mobile phone – does not need credit, but must accept text messages. Will be used to verify your free Office 365 account
- Folder, paper or notebook and pen
- Time - at least one hour a week to complete tasks set during each session
- To attend all sessions
You'll have already complete the following with Adult Skills and Community Learning:
- Information advice and guidance and initial assessment on the BKSB Software
- Either the Setting up Office 365 course or Getting Started with digital skills course
The level that you study will be determined by your initial assessment results.
This course is free to all learners aged 19 and over with no or low digital skills.
How to apply
- Contact us online
- Call us on (01226) 775270
- Email us at email@example.com
- Like us on Facebook and send us a message
- Essential Digital Skills – Entry 3
- Introduction to Business Admin – Entry 3