Who’s it for?
These courses will help you develop your skills with Microsoft applications and are predominantly aimed at learners who either want to gain employment; possibly in administration; move in to a role that includes the use of Microsoft applications or achieve a certificate to demonstrate competence in using Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Courses are offered at three levels, Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2. Level 2 is ECDL (Extras) and is a bench mark for employers.
Length of course
This is a classroom based delivery with blended learning opportunities
- 8 x 6.45 hours per session over 8 weeks (2 weeks per module)
- 4 x one hour online workshops to take place fortnightly
- 30-60 minutes of individual tasks to be completed after each session
- Peer support from other learners in the class using Edmodo – an online tool where you will access resources, participate in discussions and submit work when applicable
- Tutor support via Edmodo, email or online workshop
Within the courses, the main Microsoft Office applications are covered e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as developing file management skills.
- Entry 3 builds your skills to create and edit basic documents in Word, gain an understanding and overview of Excel and use common functions and formulas to create a working spreadsheet, and produce a presentation in PowerPoint that is fit for purpose. This level is ideal if you are fairly new to using ICT and wish to gain a recognised qualification for your newly acquired skills.
- Level 1 builds on your initial experience and basic knowledge and further increases your understanding of all three of the above computer applications. More focus is given to work related documents and building independent study skills. Word includes working with tables and images and these skills are transferred to Excel where knowledge of charts and graphs is expanded along with varied functions to produce more complex spreadsheets. Inserting, formatting and aligning objects, such as shapes within PowerPoint make for more interactive presentations.
- Level 2 covers more complex functions and settings that are more commonly used in a work place, such as mail merge using Word, IF statements and absolute referencing in Excel and using slide master designs in PowerPoint.
At levels 1 and 2 you will also use your skills to produce documents, using one of the three applications that is suitable to take into a work place environment. You will reflect on the finished document and identify what is good about it and what could be improved as well as being aware of professional practice and following any employer guidelines for layout and consistency.
You will also develop the following skills for work:
- Work as part of a team, sharing ideas and motivating peers to complete a task
- Have a positive attitude to plan your own work and complete it effectively within a timeframe
- Be a good listener and follow instructions accurately
- Be able to adapt the way you work when circumstances change or you need to switch to a different task quickly
- Be resilient and have the ability to stick with a task, even if things don’t go to plan, and learn from setbacks
- Literacy and numeracy skills will be supported throughout the course
No prior knowledge is necessary but a determination to increase skills using Microsoft Office is essential. It is preferred you have access to Microsoft office, or similar, as homework is expected. Free access to Office Online can be given via Edmodo but you will need an internet connection.
Completion of the Microsoft Applications Entry 3 qualification or existing IT skills demonstrated by completing a short assessment.
Natural progression from a level 1 IT qualification or for learners with existing IT skills who can successfully demonstrate their capabilities through a short, comprehensive assessment.
Entry 3 - £135.30
Level 1 - £225.30
Level 2 - £264.50
Fees include all course resources, online tests and administration costs.
For details of how to pay and any fee reductions or remission that may apply, see our paying for a course page.
How to apply
You will need to attend an initial assessment prior to enrolment to ensure you have the necessary entry skills to complete the required course level within the allocated time.
What you can do next
Digital and IT skills are key competencies required for most employment. A qualification demonstrating IT skills will help enhance your CV. Level 2 (ECDL (Extras)) is a benchmark qualification for employers and achieving this level will help you demonstrate you are competent with Office based IT skills.
- Microsoft Applications Level 1
- Microsoft Applications Level 2
- Essential Digital Skills for Work and Life – Entry 3
- Essential Digital Skills for Work and Life – Level 1