Our 6 week introductory maths courses will be the first stage in the maths learning journey for all ASCL learners.
These non-accredited courses will develop your skills and confidence in core number skills, the ‘building blocks’ of the maths subject such as place value, reading and writing numbers and written and mental calculation methods to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Formal learning will be blended with practical tasks and games to engage and reinforce your learning.
Getting Started Maths courses are available at 3 levels
- Entry 1/Entry 2
- Entry 3
- Level 1/Level 2
All learners must complete an IAG discussion and initial assessment prior to enrolment to identify the most appropriate level of course to meet their needs.
You'll improve your maths skills within a small group of learners working at the same level.
- One 2.5 hour classroom based session
- At least one hour of individual homework tasks to be completed each week
- Weekly individual tutor support available by Webex, email and telephone
- Online BKSB resources and assessments for additional study and regular progress checks.
What do you need?
- Folder, paper or notebook and pen
- Mathematical equipment such as a basic calculator, ruler, pencil, eraser
- If you have access to a computer and the internet you will be able to do additional study at home on BKSB and other recommended maths websites.
How to apply
Contact us online for more information or to book your place.
What you can do next
Gaining a formal qualification can help you to progress in work or go on to further education.
What our learners say
The tutor made me feel comfortable in class. I gained more confidence to have a go at maths problems. The tutor met my learning needs. I feel more confident at maths.
Friendly and helpful,relaxed learning environment. Good supportive tutor.
I enjoyed everything in the course. Great tutor, friendly people.