Adult Skills and Community Learning
These courses will enable you to:
Learn and practise some techniques to improve your positive outlook and wellbeing, and help you manage everyday ups and downs. You’ll identify some small changes that could support you in overcoming barriers. You'll also discover how responding differently can affect the outcome of challenges that you might face.
You'll also develop the following skills for work:
Local employers in Barnsley have put together a list of skills they like their employees to have. As part of your learning at ASCL, you will be developing the following skills:
- Problem solving skills – you will be practising skills to solve every day problems
- Team working skills – you’ll be connecting with other learners in your group
- Talking – you’ll develop your skills by working with others in your group.
- Digital skills – you'll discover how digital skills and support your progress in wellbeing
- Resilience – you’ll discover the importance of bouncing back after coping with challenges.
- Being reliable – regular attendance will help you get the most out of your course.
Courses range from three to seven weeks and are usually two hours per week. You’ll also be able to contact your tutor between sessions for additional support.
Courses run every half term so you will not need to wait long for a start date.
There are no formal entry requirements, you just need to feel that you would benefit from becoming more positive, improving your wellbeing or managing your mental health. Before you start, you’ll have a chat with one of the team to look at the areas you want to work on.
These courses are free
How to apply
- Contact us online
- Call us on (01226) 775270
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like us on Facebook and send us a message
There are several courses within our understanding wellbeing provision. Once you have completed one, you might move on to another, or join a creative wellbeing course. You could also work with us to look at next steps in learning or work.
What our learners say
I've enjoyed making new friends and I've learnt to ask for help. I now feel lots better about myself.