Council tax band reductions

Where a home has been adapted for the needs of someone living there who has a disability, we may be able to grant a council tax reduction

Want to claim a disability reduction?

Complete an application form and return it to us.

If possible a note from a qualified professional such as an occupational therapist or social worker should be provided with the application. This should help confirm a disability and indicate whether the additional space or room is essential to the wellbeing of the disabled person.

Applicants are not required to apply for relief each year, however, the council will periodically request confirmation that the circumstances on which the claim is made remain the same.

Any adaptation must be essential or of major importance to the wellbeing of the disabled person because of the nature and the extent of their disability.

Where relief is granted the banding on which the council tax bill is calculated will be reduced by one band. For example if the property is assessed for council tax in band C, the property will be charged as though it was a band B property.

Properties in the lowest council tax band, band A may also qualify for a reduction which will be charged at a reduced band A (-) charge.

This relief does not affect the value of a property or the true banding in the Valuation Office Agency's (VOA) valuation list.

An applicant can appeal against refusal of a reduction. For more information please contact us.

Who is entitled to a disability reduction? 

A disabled person who is substantially and permanently disabled may be entitled to a reduction.

In order for a disability reduction to be granted, the property must contain certain facilities that are considered as essential or of major importance to the wellbeing of the disabled person because of the nature and extent of their disability.

The property must contain one of the following:

  • A room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet (and not a garage) which is predominantly used by a disabled person. 
    Examples include a room used specifically for storing specialised equipment (such as a dialysis unit or a wheelchair). 


  • An additional bathroom or kitchen which is provided for a disabled person. A second toilet with or without a washbasin cannot be classed as a bathroom. A bathroom converted to a wet room is not classed as an additional bathroom.


  • Sufficient space in the house to allow a wheelchair to be used inside. The disabled person must require the use of a wheelchair inside. Examples include doorframes being made wider or walls removed for the wheelchair.

An applicant will need to show that without the feature that they or the disabled person would find it difficult to live in the dwelling and their health would suffer.

 Frequently asked questions

SOCITM Visit Counter