The Local Welfare Assistance Scheme helps people who are in financial crisis due to an emergency or other unexpected circumstances.
It can provide:
- food from foodbanks
- electric or gas credit directly onto utility meters for those who are eligible - meter credit must be repaid via a South Yorkshire Credit Union account
- household items for people setting up a new home after a period of living in an institutional setting, or following an unforeseen, unfortunate event
Local Welfare Assistance is a discretionary scheme for people with no alternative support or assistance available to meet their need.
Who can apply
To be considered for assistance you must be:
- living in Barnsley and be a tenant, joint tenant or owner occupier of the address where you live
- legally resident in the UK
- aged 16 or over and not in full time education
- on a low household income or in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Job Seekers Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
How to apply
You can use our online form to apply for help from the Local Welfare Assistance Scheme.