The government announced measures to help protect millions of households from rising energy costs. This includes a one-off payment of £150 council tax energy rebate to all households whose primary residence is in council tax band A to D. Read more about the council tax rebate scheme on GOV.UK.
Who's eligible for the rebate?
- Anyone living in a household in council tax bands A to D on 1 April 2022.
- Anyone living in a household in council tax band E but has an alternative valuation band of D due to the disabled relief scheme on 1 April 2022.
The property must be someone's sole or main residence and a chargeable dwelling, or in any of the following exemption classes:
- Class N (property occupied solely by full time students)
- Class S (property occupied by people under the age of 18)
- Class U (occupied by someone who's severely mentally impaired)
- Class W (annexes occupied by dependant relatives)
Only one payment can be made for each household/property in the council tax list. You must be liable or jointly liable for the council tax property the rebate is for.
Receiving the rebate
Applications to claim the rebate closed on Thursday 30 June 2022. We're working through all outstanding claims made on or before this date to make the payment as requested on the application form.
If you're eligible for the rebate but didn’t apply by 30 June 2022, we'll automatically credit the £150 to your council tax account. This credit will be on your account by the end of July 2022.
Our phone lines are still very busy - please only call us if you made an application for the rebate payment before 30 June 2022 and still haven’t received the payment. You can contact us by calling (01226) 787787 and selecting option 6.
Please note: any aggression or abuse towards our staff won't be tolerated and your call will be ended.