More money in your pocket

If you need help to manage your money, budgeting advice or help with debt, there's a range of support offering free impartial advice.

Check your benefits eligibility

You can check if you're getting all of the benefits you're eligible for. Just use the free benefits calculator on the entitledto or Turn2us websites.

You can also contact Citizens Advice Barnsley on 0800 144 88 48 or DIAL on (01226) 240273. Both of these can help you complete a benefits check.

Find out more about the range of available benefits on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and GOV.UK websites.

Budgeting advice and support


MoneyHelper provide a range of guides to managing your money in uncertain times. You can also access free, confidential debt advice.

Get support from MoneyHelper.

Age UK

Age UK Barnsley can offer support to people aged over 66 that are struggling financially. You can speak to them on (01226) 776820 or by emailing


DIAL is a local charity supporting disabled people, their families and carers in Barnsley. They provide free, confidential advice and support to help local people to live independent lives.

The team are down to earth and non-judgemental. They strive to achieve their vision for a world that is truly inclusive. You can call DIAL on (01226) 240273.

Support if you have a disabled child

You may be able to apply for a Family Fund grant if you’re raising a disabled or seriously ill child. This grant can support with essential items.

Find out about Family Fund grants.

Support for the armed forces community

Support is available if you're a member of the armed forces community. You can access a range of financial support and debt advice.

Find out about finance and debt support for the armed forces community.

Help with saving

Help to Save is a type of savings account. It's for certain people entitled to Working Tax Credit or receiving Universal Credit. It gives a bonus of 50p for every £1 you save over four years.

Help to Save is backed by the government, so all savings in the scheme are secure.

Area councils

Our area councils run a range of advice and support sessions in your local ward. They publish the details of these on their Facebook pages.

Find out about area councils and their contact details.

Money Saving Expert 

Money Saving Expert is the UK's biggest consumer website. It was set up by Martin Lewis.

The site is all about helping you cut your bills and fighting your corner. It includes research, tools and more. It's focused on finding deals, saving money and campaigning for financial justice.

Check your Income Tax

The GOV.UK website includes details about how to check if you're paying the right amount of Income Tax. It also has details about what tax relief you can claim and how to claim a refund if you’ve paid too much tax.

Find out more about Income Tax.

Help with managing debt

Citizens Advice

Whatever your problem, wherever you live in Barnsley, Citizens Advice can help.

Ways to contact Barnsley Citizens Advice

Christians Against Poverty

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) provides free debt help and local community groups across the UK.

Get help from CAP.

National Debtline

National Debtline is a charity that is run by the Money Advice trust. They offer free, confidential and independent debt advice over the phone and online.

Contact the National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 or visit the National Debtline website.


StepChange offer free, expert debt advice and money guidance. They'll recommend the best solution or service for your circumstances.

Visit the StepChange website for more details. 

Mental Health and Money Advice

Mental Health and Money Advice is the first UK-wide service to combine support for both mental health and financial problems.

They’re here for anyone with a mental illness who's struggling with their money. They also support anyone whose financial problems are affecting their mental health. They give clear, practical advice and support for people with mental health issues and money.

Find out more on the Mental Health and Money Advice website. 

Gambling support 

NHS help for problem gambling

Being a compulsive gambler can harm your health, relationships and leave you in serious debt. If you have a problem with gambling and you'd like to stop, support and treatment is available.

Find out about gambling support from the NHS.

NHS Northern Gambling Service

The NHS Northern Gambling Service provides specialist addiction therapy in the north of England.

Find out more about NHS Northern Gambling Service


GAMSTOP is a free service that helps you control your online gambling.

You can register with GAMSTOP online. This will prevent you from using gambling websites and apps run by companies licensed in Great Britain. You can set it up for six months, one year or five years.

Help with childcare 

Free childcare for eligible 2 years olds

If you've got a child who is 2 years old, you may be able to get 15 hours a week free childcare. This could be in an Ofsted registered family centre, day nursery, preschool or with a childminder.  

Help paying for your childcare

There is government help with childcare costs for parents. You can take a look at the different help available at Childcare Choices.

Information about credit

There are lots of different types of credit out there. It can be hard to tell the difference between them and how they work.

Halifax have a simple, straightforward explanation of the different types and what they mean.

Find out more about credit on the Halifax website.

Please leave us some feedback