How we're supporting our crews
We’ve been working with our crews to change the way they work in order to help keep them safe during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.
We’ve reduced the number of staff members in bin wagons to one driver and one operative in order to help with social distancing. The wagons are being followed by another vehicle to help transport our second operative safely.
All equipment our crews need including keys, maps, risk assessments, gloves and hand sanitiser is provided in a daily box and disinfected every day. Drivers are cleaning places they touch in their vehicles throughout and at the end of every day. Crews have been given extra gloves and are disposing of them at the end of each working day.
How you can help
- Wash your hands before and after touching your wheelie bin or rubbish bags. By washing your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water before and after handling waste containers you can help keep your family and our refuse workers safe.
- Please double-bag your personal waste, such as used tissues, face masks, disposable gloves and cleaning cloths where someone in the household has coronavirus or is self-isolating. Please put these in disposable rubbish bags and then into another bag, tie securely and keep separate from other waste. These should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin. Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.
- Park sensibly on collection days to leave room for our big wagons to get down your street. As more people are working from home there are more cars on our streets.
- Squash plastic bottles and fasten the tops on, and flatten and tear up cardboard, so it takes up less room in your bin.
- Reuse whatever you can to minimise what you need to throw away.