You can apply and pay online for copies of certificates of births, deaths and marriages registered in Barnsley from 1837 up to the present day.
We can only provide copy certificates for events that took place in Barnsley. You'll need to contact the relevant register office if the event was registered in another town. You can use the search facility on the General Register Office website for England and Wales to find a different register office.
We can't provide copy certificates for people that were adopted or for stillborn babies, you'll need to request these from the General Register Office.
Records before 1837
You can't use our online form for certificates registered before 1837. For information about records before this date you can contact our archives service in the Experience Barnsley Museum.
How much it costs
We charge the following fees for each copy certificate:
- £7 for our standard five day service (in a register we still have open)
- £10 for our standard five day service (for a certificate from a closed register)
- £21 for our priority same day service (additional copies will cost either £7 or £10 per copy)*
*If you've ordered and paid for a certificate through our priority service before 12pm you can either collect it on the same working day between 2pm and 4pm, or we'll send it by first class post. If you've paid for it after 12pm your certificate will be ready the next working day for collection between 2pm and 4pm or we'll post it to you.
We charge an additional £1 for postage within the UK. For overseas postage there's a minimum charge of £2.
How to apply
You can apply online for copy certificates using the form below if you have an email address.
When we've received your form, we'll send you an email to confirm that we can provide the certificate with a link to pay online for it. You can't pay over the telephone, or in the Register Office, for certificates you've ordered online.
Please click on the tabs below for more information:
What to include
Please complete all of the questions on the form to help us to find the certificate, and provide your contact details and an email address. You'll need to give us the following information:
for a birth
- the full name of the person
- the date of birth
- the place of birth (hospital or village)
- the name of the mother
- the name of the father (if it's recorded)
- the mother's maiden name (if you know it)
for a death
- the full name of the person who has died
- the date of death
- the place of death (hospital or village)
for a marriage/civil partnership
- the full name of each partner
- the surname at birth of each partner
- the date of the event
- the name of the church or venue where it took place
- the name of the village or town (if you know it)
Confirmation and payment
You'll receive an automatic confirmation email with your customer reference number when you've submitted your form.
We'll then check our records to make sure we have the certificate and send you a separate email with the fee and a link to our payment page.
We'll get back to you within:
- two hours (up to 5pm) if you've used our priority service
- two working days for our standard service
We'll email to ask you for more information if we can't find the certificate you've applied for.
We can't start to produce your copy certificate until you've paid for it.
If you've used our priority same day service you should pay for your order as soon as you receive the email.
You'll need to pay for your certificate online before we can process your order.
You can tell us in the form if you want to collect it from the Register Office, or receive it in the post.
You can collect your certificate between 2pm and 4pm, or we'll post it out to you first class:
- on the same working day if you've paid for it before 12pm
- on the next working day if you've paid after 12pm
Your certificate will be ready for collection, or we'll post it, within five working days of us receiving your payment.