Information for adopted people

The Adopted Children Register is kept by the Registrar General.

It contains a record of every person who has been adopted through a court in England and Wales.  

Adoption certificates

The adoption certificate is the one that will be required for all legal purposes such as applying for a passport or driving licence. This will be issued in the name given after the adoption.        

To obtain an adoption certificate

To apply for a certificate from the Adopted Children Register you can: 

Contact Barnsley Registration Service for an application form.            

Completed application forms should be sent to:

General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, United Kingdom, PR8 2JD 

For information visit the website:   

Or email:  

Or telephone: +44 (0) 845 603 7788  

Access to original birth records

If you were adopted through a court in England and Wales, the 1976 Adoption Act states that you are entitled to find out information relating to your birth and, if it still exists, have access to your adoption file.

You can find out more about accessing your adoption and original birth records and what's involved on the GovUk website.