Documents needed for giving notice of a marriage or civil partnership

At your appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership you’ll need to bring proof of your identity. The registrar will need to see evidence of your name, age, marital status, address and nationality.

It’s your responsibility to check what documents you need and if you don’t bring them to your appointment you can’t give notice of your marriage or civil partnership. Each person giving notice needs to bring these. 

All the documents must be originals and any documents not in English must have a full English translation by a third party. You'll need to bring one piece of evidence for each area that's relevant to you. 

Proof of address

  • Valid UK provisional or full driving licence
  • Utility bill - dated no more than three months before the date of giving notice
  • Bank or building society statement - dated no more than one month before the date of giving notice
  • Council tax bill for the current year
  • Mortgage statement - dated no more than 12 months before the date of giving notice
  • Current residential tenancy agreement

Proof of nationality

  • A valid British passport
  • If born in the UK before 1 January 1983:
    • United Kingdom birth certificate
  • If born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983:
    • United Kingdom full birth certificate (showing parents); and
    • mother’s UK birth certificate (to prove you've inherited British nationality)
  • A certificate of registration as a British citizen granted by the Secretary of State
  • A certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen granted by the Secretary of State

Under 18

Marital status

  • Widowed - marriage certificate and death certificate of your late spouse
  • UK D37 decree absolute (from 6 April 2022 Final Order)
  • Decree of nullity of marriage granted by a court of civil jurisdiction in England or Wales
  • Civil partnership dissolution order
  • Civil partnership nullity order obtained in England or Wales in accordance with Part 2 of the Civil Partnership Act 2004

If you've changed your name following any of the above, you must also bring either a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or deed poll certificate to link your current name to the dissolution document.

If your divorce, annulment or dissolution was granted outside of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man a full translation must also be provided and a consideration fee will apply at the time of your appointment. If the document is considered at the Register Office, the fee is £50. If the documents have to be forwarded to the General Register Office to be considered the fee is £75.

Change of name

  • Change of name deed
  • Marriage/civil partnership certificate (if you've reverted to your maiden or birth name following dissolution of your marriage/civil partnership, to link your name to the dissolution document)

If you're unable to produce any of the required documents please contact us for advice.