Legal formalities around civil partnerships

There are certain legal formalities associated with civil partnerships. 

Notices of intention to form a civil partnership must be given at the register office for the district in England or Wales where you have lived for at least the previous seven days. (If one, or both, of you is not usually resident in England or Wales please ask the Superintendent Registrar for further advice about when and where to give notice.) It does not matter if you move address once you have given notice.  

Your notice is a formal, legal statement about your intention to form a civil partnership. Each of you must give notice in person; no-one else can do this for you.  

Once you have given notice you must wait at least 28 days before your civil partnership can be formed. A notice is valid for twelve months, so you cannot give your notice more than twelve months in advance of the date you wish to form the partnership. Although, if you are planning a ceremony at the same time it may be possible to book the date and time for the ceremony more than 12 months in advance. Please contact the register office for more information.  

If you live in the same district, the Superintendent Registrar at your local register office will take both notices, one from each of you. You should both attend together to give your notices. At Barnsley Register Office for your convenience we deal with notices by appointment only. Please contact the register office to make your appointment. If you live in separate districts, each of you will have to give notice at your own local register office.  

You are asked to give information about yourself and the person who is your intended civil partner. If there is to be a ceremony we will require details of where the ceremony is to take place.  

Once you have given your notice, it will be displayed on a public notice board in the register office for fifteen days. This is to allow any member of the public who knows of a legal reason why the partnership should not be formed to notify the Superintendent Registrar.  

If everything is in order, at the end of the fifteen day waiting period the Superintendent Registrar will be able to issue the authority to allow the partnership to be formed.  

For more information, clarification or a general discussion about your civil partnership please contact Barnsley Register Office.