If you're a Barnsley business keen to play your part in growing the economy, we invite you to sign up to the Employer Promise. This initiative is part of our Employment and Skills Strategy.
The Employer Promise encourages all types and size of organisations to offer what they can to actively help young people and adults. You can take a look at the kind of things that you could offer. You can sign up to one or more of the actions from the menu below.
Getting ready for work
- Give talks in schools, colleges, universities and/or communities to introduce people to the opportunities in our industry.
- Offer real work experience opportunities from one day taster sessions and/or up to two-week placements.
- Provide one-to-one advice and mentoring to help young people prepare for job applications and interviews
Getting into work
- Hold open days and work trial days so people can look around and find out what it’s like to work with us.
- Inclusive recruitment process.
- Provide apprenticeships and/or internships to give people their first step on the career ladder.
- Offer flexible working patterns so people can work around other commitments, such as childcare.
Getting on and staying in work
- Offer work shadowing opportunities so people can learn on the job from more experienced colleagues.
- Provide secondments so people can widen their experience and gain new knowledge and skills.
- Provide ongoing training and professional development.
- Provide an inclusive and healthy workplace.
If your business wants to be part of this exciting initiative to help young people and adults grow and learn new skills in the workplace, then complete our employer expression of interest which will outline what opportunity you want to consider offering and what support you would need. Find out more information on More and Better Jobs.
Help for you to fulfil your Employer Promise
I want to help young people prepare for work
- I Know I Can works with schools to help them link to employers and support young people's aspirations and employability.
I want to employ a graduate or set up an internship
- RISE is a South Yorkshire project that links graduates and undergraduates to employers.
I want to employ an apprentice
- The National Apprenticeship Service helps employers to find out about funding and setting up apprenticeships and has a national recruitment service.
I want to offer a work placement or work experience to someone who is unemployed or advertise a vacancy
- Jobcentre Plus work with employers to set up work experience, job placements, work trials, pre-recruitment training and offer a free recruitment service.
I want to recruit and support a diverse workforce and provide an inclusive workplace
- Enterprising Barnsley offers HR Advice and support for business.
- Work and Health Programme offers support and guidance to help recruit future employees
- Live Well Barnsley directory lists of support organisations and local community links.
I want to improve the health and wellbeing of my workforce
How we're working together
We're working together to support recruitment and skills development in Barnsley's key economic sectors. We've recently launched the Construction Pledge and we will have future pledges for:
- digital industries
- retail, leisure and hospitality
- advanced manufacturing