Rate relief for registered charities and sports clubs

Registered charities

If you’re a registered charity and you occupy a non-domestic property wholly or mainly for charitable purposes, you’re entitled to claim 80% relief on your business rates bill.  This includes charity shops, providing their proceeds (after deduction of expenses) are used for the benefit of the charity.

You can claim 100% relief if your property is empty, but you intend to use it for charitable purposes when it's next occupied.

If you want to register as a charity, you should make a request directly to the Charity Commission. For more information about charitable registration, visit the Charity Commission.

Sports clubs

If you run a registered community amateur sports club (CASC), you’re entitled to claim 80% relief on your business rates bill  for your property, providing  that it’s used wholly or mainly for the benefit of the club.

A CASC should: 

  • be run as an amateur club
  • allow access to the whole community
  • be a non- profit making organisation
  • aim to provide facilities and encourage people to take part in sport

You can apply for CASC status through HM Revenue and Customs.

Apply for relief

If you're a registered charity or sports club, you can apply for rate relief using our online form.

To support your application, you need to upload the following information

  • your registration number if you’re a charity
  • a copy of the memorandum and articles of association or rules of the association
  • copies of the audited accounts/balance sheets for the last two years (if these aren’t  available, provide copies of financial statements prepared by an appropriate officer of the organisation)
  • a copy of the tenancy agreement (where applicable)

We can't make a decision without this information.

Additional discretionary relief can also be granted to registered charities and CASCs.

Disputing our decision

You can ask us to reconsider our decision if we don’t award you a relief or exemption. You can do this by completing our dispute form within 28 days of receiving our decision.