Children in care and care leavers

We promise

  • to make sure you have a pathway plan, which you've contributed to, that sets out your path to adulthood from age 16 years and three months.

  • to make sure you've got a bank account, birth certificate, passport and national insurance number soon after your 16th birthday.

  • to make sure you have a named personal adviser from Barnsley's leaving care services.

  • to care for you in a care placement until your 18th birthday.

  • to make sure when you leave school you receive an offer of education, employment or training, and the opportunity to discuss this with a careers adviser.

  • to do all we can to make sure that when you leave care you'll be provided with suitable quality accommodation in Barnsley (unless this is against your wishes) and where you need it this will be supported accommodation.

  • to provide you with accommodation in Barnsley when you're home from college or university.

  • for separated children, to provide you with access to English language classes within two weeks of becoming a child in care and support you to take up additional educational opportunities.

Leaving care

You can leave care when you reach 18. Leaving care and becoming independent is a big step, so before you leave we'll make sure that you're well prepared.

When you're ready to leave, we'll pair you up with a trained personal adviser (PA). They'll be involved in assessing your needs and preparing a pathway plan for you. Your plan sets out what you want to do with your life, what your aspirations are for the future, and how you'll achieve them.

Your PA will help review your pathway plan every six months to keep you on track. They'll be on hand to give you advice and support until you're 21. Your PA will talk to you about whether you need to continue receiving their support after you turn 21, and if you do your pathway plan will be reviewed with you to record the support you need. Support from your PA will continue for as long as you need it, until you turn 25.

Find out about support for care leavers

Getting ready for independent living

Berneslai Homes offer regular tenancy-ready courses which offer advice and guidance on:

  • what you want and need in a property
  • being a tenant
  • planning your spending
  • viewing a property
  • setting up your home
  • moving day
  • maintaining your property
  • where to get help

Speak to your PA if you'd like to attend one of these courses.

Future Directions

Your PA is based at Future Directions - our leaving care team. Their offices are centrally-based in Barnsley town centre, close to the bus and rail station, at 18 Regent Street, Barnsley, S70 2HG.

You can contact them by calling (01226) 775550. There's a duty worker available from 8.45am to 5pm if your allocated worker isn't available to speak to.

Please leave us some feedback