Our local offer for care leavers

What is a personal adviser

Your personal adviser is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer advice and support after you leave care.

You will be able to ask for support from your personal adviser (PA) up to the age of 25, whether or not you are in education or training.


Your pathway plan

Personal advisers should talk to you about what support you need and record this information with you, in your pathway plan. Your pathway plan is written by your personal adviser with you and in consultation with important people in your life.
It sets out your assessed needs, views and future goals, and identifies exactly what support you will receive from us and others.

Your pathway plan will be in place when you turn 16 and we will review it with you regularly so that it is kept up to date with your current needs. All offers of support will be provided to you in writing and recorded in your Pathway Plan. This is particularly important as you transition to being 18 years old and a Care Leaver making sure that our support to you is consistent and doesn’t get lost during the transition period.

The amount of support that you receive will depend on your needs, what you want and your circumstances.

Future Directions, our leaving care team will consider with you what extra support you may need.
For example:

  • you have special educational needs or a disability
  • you are an unaccompanied asylum-seeking child (UASC) and your immigration status is unclear.
  • you are in or leaving custody or you have had contact with the criminal justice system.
  • you are a young parent
  • you are going through a difficult time in your personal life

Support aged 22 to 25 years of age

Your personal adviser will talk to you about whether you need or want to continue receiving their support after you turn 21. If you do, your pathway plan will be reviewed with you. Support from your personal adviser will continue for as long as you need it to, until you turn 25.

If you decide you would like the support to end but you decide at a later time that you need it to start again, it is your responsibility to make this request. You may want to request support if you are having difficulties with managing your independence or adjusting to adult life.

You may not need or want the same amount of support from a personal adviser that you had when you were age 18-20, but you are still entitled to ask for it up to the age of 25.

Contact your personal adviser

Your personal adviser is based at Future Directions, our leaving care team:
18 Regent Street, Barnsley, S70 2HG. Contact the Care Leaving Team on (01226) 775550.

The offices are centrally based in Barnsley town centre close to the bus interchange.

Your Personal Adviser has a mobile telephone and will give you this number where you will be able to call them direct, text and/or WhatsApp within their working hours.

There is a duty worker available on the above number 8.45am to 5pm if your allocated worker is unavailable.

Jayne Shaw is the Team Manager who can be contacted on (01226) 775550 or 07584140022.

For more information

Call (01226) 772626 or

Please leave us some feedback