Our local offer for care leavers

What is a personal advisor

Your Personal Adviser is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer advice and support after you leave care.

You will be able to ask for support from your Personal Advisor (PA) up to the age of 25, whether or not you are in education or training.


Your Pathway Plan

Personal Advisors should talk to you about what support you need and record this information with you, in your Pathway Plan. Your Pathway Plan is written by your Personal Advisor with you and in consultation with important people in your life.

It sets out your assessed needs, views and future goals, and identifies exactly what support you will receive from us.

Your Pathway Plan will be in place at 16 years of age and we will review it with you regularly so that it is kept up-to-date.

The amount of support that you receive will depend on your needs, what you want and your circumstances.

Future Directions, our Leaving Care Team will consider with you what extra support you may need.

For example:

  • you have special educational needs or a disability
  • you are an unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child (UASC) and your immigration status is unclear.
  • you are in or leaving custody or you have had contact with the criminal justice system.
  • you are a young parent
  • you are going through a difficult time in your personal life

Support Aged 22 to 25 Years of Age

Your Personal Advisor will talk to you about whether you need or want to continue receiving their support after you turn 21. If you do, your Pathway Plan will be reviewed with you. Support from your Personal Advisor will continue for as long as you need it to, until you turn 25.

If you decide you would like the support to end but you decide at a later time that you need it to start again, it is your responsibility to make this request. You may want to request support if you are having difficulties with managing your independence or adjusting to adult life.

You may not need or want the same amount of support from a Personal Advisor that you had when you were age 18-20, but you are still entitled to ask for it up to the age of 25.

Contact your personal advisor

Your Personal Advisor is based at Future Directions, our Leaving Care Team:
18 Regent Street, Barnsley, S70 2 HG
Tel: 01226 775550.

The offices are centrally based in Barnsley Town Centre close to the bus interchange.
There is a duty worker available on the above number 08.45am to 5.00pm if your allocated worker is unavailable.

Jayne Shaw is the Team Manager who can be contacted on 01226 775550 if you are having any difficulties

For more information

Call (01226) 772626 or