Our local offer for care leavers

Staying healthy

Your health is really important to us.  We want to work with you and support you to live an active and healthy life and ensure you can access appropriate health services. 

To help you do this your personal adviser or nurse can give you information and support you with the following areas:

  • eating healthily
  • living healthy; help to stop smoking and drinking 
  • accessing local leisure, exercise and sports facilities
  • help to pay for prescriptions
  • help to register with a GP
  • help to register with a dentist
  • help to register with an optician
  • support you to attend any health appointments
  • support you to transition from CAMHS to Adult Mental Health Services
  • provide information about counselling and Adult Mental Health Services 
  • help with transport costs when attending health appointments
  • give you information about sexual health services

Registering for services

We can support you to:

Register with a GP

If you do not already have a GP, speak with your personal advisor or nurse who can help you to get registered. Find out more about how to register with a GP.

Register with a dentist

If you do not already have a dentist, speak with your personal advisor or nurse who can help you to get registered. Find out more about how to register with a dentist.

Emergencies and non-emergencies

In a medical emergency ring 999 and ask for an ambulance, giving them your address and details of what is wrong with you or the person you are ringing about.  Or go to the nearest Emergency Department.   For situations that are not urgent or an emergency, book to see your GP or ring 111 for advice. 

We can also support and advise you on how to:

  • register with your optician
  • attend any appointments
  • support you to transition from CAMHS to Adult Mental Health Services
  • give you information about counselling and Adult Mental Health Services that are available locally
  • give you help with transport costs when attending health appointments

Local services

Live Well Barnsley

Live Well Barnsley, is a place where you can find information about help and support services within the borough. The site contains information and contact details about all types of services and activities that can help you look after yourself, stay independent and get involved in your community.

Mental health services

If you feel you would like help and support with your emotional wellbeing and are not already under support services you can speak to:

  • Your personal advisor or nurse who will be able to guide you as to how you can access support.
  • Your GP who can again offer guidance and support and arrange a referral into mental health services if needed.
  • You can refer yourself for help by ringing (01226) 645000 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday if you are over 18. 

In an emergency situation please call 999 or go to the nearest Emergency Department for support.

Open up Barnsley

Open up Barnsley offers a list of services available in Barnsley that provides support on emotional wellbeing for young people in Barnsley.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

IAPT help people to get quick and easy access to the best type of therapy for their individual needs. Barnsley IAPT is a free service; they are part of the NHS and have a team of qualified and experienced professionals specially chosen to work alongside the young persons’ local GP.

IAPT can help:

  • address current problems
  • gain a new understanding of a young person’s difficulties and develop new ways of coping
  • make changes in the young person’s life
  • talk about difficulties in a non-judgemental and supportive environment

There are many ways that IAPT can help young people with their issues.  IAPT aim to teach skills and techniques to help young people manage everyday ups and downs. IAPT have a wide range of options including one to one, face to face, telephone, internet-based therapy and courses. IAPT staff will discuss which option is better considering individual need. IAPT also offer a service within the local community in order to allow more people access the correct treatment.

View our flowchart on how to make referrals.

When referred to IAPT the young person will be offered an initial assessment lasting up to 45 minutes. This may be carried out over the phone or in a GP surgery.   The assessment takes place with one of their friendly Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners and it is entirely confidential. They will ask questions about how the young person is feeling and this will help determine whether the IAPT service can help. IAPT will work with the young person to decide what help and support the young person may need. IAPT recognise that everyone is different so they offer different levels of support in order to get the best results – helping the young person to help themselves. Sometimes IAPT recommend other services who can provide the most appropriate support.

IAPT services

  • Cognitive Behavioural therapy
  • Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners
  • Counselling and Couples therapy
  • Access for British sign language users
  • Workshops
  • Wellbeing resources
  • Relaxation techniques

For more information, contact your personal advisor.


Opening up Awareness and Support and Influencing Services (OASIS) is a chilypep group based in Barnsley that aims to help young people to shape mental health services for young people in Barnsley. 

The group meets every Thursday 5pm to 7pm at Horizon College to discuss campaign ideas. They have previously designed awareness raising posters and put together a mental health first aid kit which is now being widely used. For more information or to get involved email Chantelle.


If you become pregnant and would like to speak to someone about this, please contact your nurse or personal advisor who can support you and help you to access relevant services.

If you are under the age of 21 you will be supported by a specialist midwife. You don’t need to do anything to access this support other than go along to your GP (Doctors) who will book your pregnancy and let the midwife know. The midwife has lots of experience in working with young people and can give you extra time and support if you need it. 

Support for young parents

Care to Learn

Care to Learn - If you want to return to education but you need support with childcare costs there is a government scheme to help pay for childcare costs for young parents who are aged under 20 when their course starts.

It is a weekly amount up to £160 paid to the childcare provider and can also be used to pay for elements of childcare, such as a deposit, registration fees, childcare taster sessions and summer retainer.  It can be claimed by either the child’s father or mother, providing the other parent is unable to provide childcare or not claiming child tax credit. Your leaving care PA or TIAG worker will be able to give you more details and support you to apply.

Barnsley Family Centres

Barnsley Family Centres offer services for families from pre-birth onwards.

Through groups, activities and much more they support :

  • Children to be ready for school and thrive in school
  • Parents and carers to develop their parenting skills
  • Healthier lifestyles for children
  • Families to build resilience
  • Opportunities to meet other families and share experiences

For more information call 0800 0345 340 or email infofis@barnsley.gov.uk, your leaving care PA can also help you to access their services.

Barnsley's Families Information Service (FIS)

Barnsley's Families Information Service (FIS)  provides free and confidential information and advice for parents

Use FIS to help you:

  • Apply for support to help paying for childcare
  • Find Ofsted registered childcare,
  • Find fun things to do including local clubs or activities
  • With employment advice, childcare career choices including how to become a childminder.
  • With Information and advice for young people with SEND

Contact their freephone on 0800 0345, email infofis@barnsley.gov.uk or message Barnsley Family Information Service on Facebook.

You can use Barnsley Family Service Directory to search for information.

Sexual health

We want to ensure you get the support and care that you need.

  • You can get a whole range of support, advice, testing and contraception that is free of charge from Spectrum.  Spectrum Integrated Sexual Health Service provides all methods of contraception, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing and support, screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections.

    The main clinic is in Barnsley town centre at Gateway Plaza, Sackville Street, Barnsley, S70 2RD. Clinics are also available in some GP surgeries. Find out more about spectrum or to book an appointment online alternatively you can call 0800 055 6442. 

  • If you would rather not go to the clinic, contact your nurse who can give you advice and support around sexual health and may be able to provide you with condoms. She can also support you to attend a clinic or (in some circumstances) arrange for someone from the clinic to meet you somewhere of your choosing.

  • Your GP may also be able to provide contraception, and your GP or local pharmacy may also be able to supply free emergency hormonal contraception such as the morning after pill.

Stopping Smoking

If you would like to stop smoking please speak with your personal advisor or nurse who can offer you and advice and support. 

The NHS Yorkshire smoke free service can also offer you support to stop smoking. 

Substance Misuse

If you are using drugs or alcohol and would like help to stop, reduce your use or keep yourself safe whilst using, please speak to you nurse or personal advisor. 

You can also get support from:

You can get support online by visiting:

Getting fit, being active and eating healthy

Part of being healthy is keeping fit and eating healthily. Your nurse and personal advisor can help you in achieving this and let you know about ways to do this.

Barnsley leisure card

Barnsley's leisure card scheme allows eligible groups including care experienced young people in Barnsley to access discounted sports and leisure activities in the area. Find out how to apply for a Barnsley Leisure Card.

Please ask your personal advisor for a letter of eligibility.

Running apps and resources

Support resources and information

NHS website

The NHS website offers an A-Z of health and health conditions and has lots of useful information.  The NHS health app, NHS Go can be downloaded on your mobile devices especially useful for 16-25 year olds.

NHS Live Well can offer support on staying healthy.

If you have any concerns around accessing health care or meeting your health needs, you can ring the Designated Nurse for Safeguarding and Children in Care and Care Leavers. 

Contact the Designated Nurse who can help you get the right care on 01226 433708, or speak to your personal adviser or nurse.  

For more information

Call (01226) 772626 or

Your personal health record

If you haven’t already received this, you should get one at your next visit from the nurse. The passport holds all your main health information and can be added to each year so that you have a complete record when you are older.

Please leave us some feedback