Our local offer for care leavers

Staying healthy

There are many ways your Personal Advisor and Nurse can support you to stay healthy and look after your physical and emotional health.

How to stay healthy

Barnsley Leisure Card

Barnsley's leisure card scheme allows eligible groups including care experienced young people in Barnsley to access discounted sports and leisure activities in the area.

Please ask your Personal Advisor for a letter of eligibility.

Running Club

There is also a running club especially for children in care and care leavers. The running club meets every Tuesday 5.15 to 6pm at Locke Park and runs from April to October.

For more information contact Steve on (01226) 772470

Registering for services

We can support you to:

Register with a Nurse

If you are unsure who your nurse is, you can contact (01226) 774411. The nursing team also hold a monthly drop in session at the Care leavers hub

Register with a GP

If you do not already have a GP, speak with your Personal Advisor or nurse who can help you to get registered. Find out more about how to register with a GP.

Register with a Dentist

If you do not already have a Dentist, speak with your Personal Advisor or nurse who can help you to get registered. Find out more about how to register with your dentist.

We can also support and advice you on how to:

  • register with your optician
  • attend any appointments
  • support you to transition from CAMHS to Adult Mental Health Services
  • give you information about counselling and Adult Mental Health Services that are available locally
  • give you help with transport costs when attending health appointments


If you become pregnant and would like to speak to someone about this, please contact your nurse or Personal Advisor who can support you and help you to access relevant services.

If you are under the age of 21 you will be supported by a specialist midwife. You don’t need to do anything to access this support other than go along to your GP (Doctors) who will book your pregnancy and let the midwife know. The midwife has lots of experience working with young people and can give you the right sort you need.

Sexual Health

We can give you information about sexual health services including support, advice, testing and contraception  that's free of charge.

  •  We can help on Spectrum Integrated Sexual Health Service provides all methods of contraception, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing and support, screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections.

The main clinic is in Barnsley town centre at Gateway Plaza, Sackville Street, S70 2RD. 
For more information call 0800 055 6442.

  • If you would rather not go to the clinic please contact your nurse who can give you advice and support around sexual health and issue you with a ‘C card’.  She can also support you to attend a clinic or (in some circumstances) arrange for someone from the clinic to meet you somewhere of your choosing.

Your GP may also be able to provide contraception, and your GP or local pharmacy may also be able to supply free emergency hormonal contraception (the morning after pill).

Health passport

We can work with you to develop a health passport containing key information from your childhood and your current health needs.

You will receive a booklet named Personal Health Record containing key information about your health from your childhood. For example, when and if you've had immunisations and your current health needs. It also contains helpful health information that you may need as you move to independence

Support resources and information

NHS Live Well can offer support on staying healthy

NHS offer an A-Z of health and health conditions. The NHS health app, NHSgo can be downloaded on your mobile devices.

For more information

Call (01226) 772626 or