Our local offer for care leavers

You have a right to be involved

You have the right to be involved in all of our decisions about your plans for leaving care.

You also have a right to support from an independent advocate if you want to challenge decisions about the support we give you. Independent advocates are separate to children's social care services and can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. 

Participate in society

We want our care leavers and young people to be active members of society, and to have all the chances in life that other young adults have. We will help you participate in society in the following ways:

  • Listening and taking account of your views about how we support you.
  • Providing information on groups, activities, facilities and clubs you may wish to join.
  • Informing you about relevant awards, schemes and competitions you can enter, in line with your talents and interests.
  • Encouraging and helping you to enrol on the electoral register, so you can vote in future elections.
  • Offering work experience.
  • Informing you about voluntary work that we think you may be interested in.
  • Informing and possibly helping with the cost of leisure activities.
  • Giving you advice and helping you to challenge any discrimination you face as a care leaver.
  • Sharing information about voluntary work.

Children’s rights and advocacy team

The children’s rights team are based in the targeted youth support service and provide independent advocates for all children and young people in care and care experienced young people.

Advocates are people who you can talk to about what help you feel you need or if you feel people aren’t listening to you, if you’re unhappy with any decisions made about you, or if you just want something to change. They’ll also support you if you need to make a complaint.

Children’s rights can also help you if:

  • You want some help in saying the things you need to say to those who make decisions about you.
  • You are unhappy about the way you're being treated or supported or you're worried about plans being made.
  • You need information and advice and want to know your rights.
  • You need help to make sure you understand what people are saying and make sure people listen to you.
  • You want particular people at your meetings.

Contact us

Advocacy support is available from the children’s rights team who can be contacted directly on (01226) 753406.

If you are in any doubt your personal adviser will be able to offer you support in accessing an independent advocate.

The Targeted Youth Support Service, Children’s Rights and Care Councils offer an independent visitors scheme. These teams are located on the ground floor of 18 Regent Street, the same building as the care leaver’s hub. 

Care4Us Council

The Care4Us Council is supported by dedicated participation workers for children in care and care experienced young people within the targeted youth service. All its members are children and young people who are in, or have been in, care.

You too can be part of the council. It gives you a chance to meet the executive director for people, the service director for children’s social care services, the lead cabinet member for safeguarding and children’s services, local councillors and service managers, to talk about things that are important to you and other children in and leaving care.

Our meetings

The Care4Us Council is for young people aged between 18-25 years old. The meetings are held at the Care Leavers Hub at 18 Regent Street Barnsley on a Wednesday evening 5pm to 7pm.

Contact us

To contact the Care4Us Council call our Targeted Youth Support Team on (01226) 775270.

To contact our Youth Participation Co-ordinator, Jo King call (01226) 753406 or 07734693647.

For more information

Call (01226) 772626 or

Please leave us some feedback