Revised statutory guidance, Working Together to Safeguard Children, came into effect in April 2015.
It was published in response to recommendations from Professor Eileen Munro's report, 'A child-centred system'. This is an interactive version of the guidance.
The guidance sets out the legal requirements that health services, social workers, police, schools and others who work with children, must follow. It places emphasis on safeguarding being everyone's business and the responsibility of all professionals who work with children.
Other resources you may find useful are below. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like us to include particular resources or web links that you've found helpful.
Every child, young person and adult has the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Hidden Hurt - an extensive resource for professionals and families affected by domestic abuse.
- Refuge - national charity supporting women experiencing domestic abuse.
- Three Steps to Escaping Domestic Violence - Home Office publication explaining how to get help to escape domestic and sexual violence. Copies of this booklet are also available in: gujarati, punjabi, arabic, turkish, hindi, somali, bengali, pashto, farsi, welsh, urdu.#
- Home Office guide on controlling or coercive behaviour in an intimate or family relationship
- Emotional neglect and abuse - information about emotional neglect and abuse in pre-school children.
- Karma Nirvana - helpline for advice together with useful resources and information to anyone concerned about forced marriage and honour-based violence.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office Forced Marriage Unit - information and useful publications for professionals.
- Guide for parents on child abduction - guidance providing advice to parents on what to do if another parent or relative takes and keeps a child in another country against their will.
- South Yorkshire Missing from Home and Care Protocol - advice and guidance on what to do if a child goes missing.
- Missing from home or care and runaways multi-agency protocol
- Research in Practice - an extensive catalogue of up-to-date articles and information on neglect and related issues.
- In the child's time - Ofsted report exploring the effectiveness of arrangements to safeguard children with a particular focus on those aged 10 and under.
- Protocol for the management of actual or suspected bruising or injury in non-mobile infants
- Bruising in young babies: information leaflet for parents and carers
- Home Office multi-agency statutory guidance on female genital mutilation
- Disclosure and Barring Service - information for employers and employees on who needs a DBS check and how to obtain them.
- Harmful sexual behaviour strategy
- South Yorkshire Police Partnership Information Sharing for CSE form
- Barnsley CSE strategy
Support for families of offenders
- NICCO provides a one-stop information and advice service for all professionals working with children and families of offenders. Barnardo's and Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) have joined together to deliver this service.
Voluntary and community sector
- Safe Network - works towards building common safeguarding standards for voluntary and community organisations