We are committed to tackling and preventing domestic abuse in our communities, and ensuring that victims and survivors have appropriate and quality support.
Take part in our consultation
In line with the Domestic Abuse Act 2021 and ahead of our recommissioning of domestic abuse services, we are seeking our residents’ understanding and experiences of domestic abuse and domestic abuse services available in Barnsley.
You can help us by taking part in our consultation below.
Why we need this information
In April 2021, the government passed the Domestic Abuse Act. The Act requires local authorities to:
- Provide accommodation based support to victims of domestic abuse.
- Give victims of domestic abuse priority need for homelessness assistance, and grant secure lifetime tenancies when granting new secure tenancies to social tenants who had or has a secure lifetime or assured tenancy
- Appoint a multi-agency Domestic Abuse Local Partnership Board
- Assess the need for accommodation-based domestic abuse support in their area for all victims and their children, including those who come from outside the area
- Develop, publish and give effect to a domestic abuse strategy
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the strategy
- Report back to central government
In order to assess the local need for domestic abuse support in Barnsley, we are working in partnership with independent researchers, Imogen Blood Associates (IBA) to carry out our local needs assessment.
This survey is being undertaken by IBA on behalf of Barnsley Council. Your answers go directly to IBA. IBA will analyse the results and present the overall findings as part of their research.
Your responses will help us understand what further support is needed, and will contribute to the development of our domestic abuse strategy.
Imogen Blood Associates
Chloë Hands | Business Support Officer.
Mollie Raine | Domestic Abuse Policy Officer.