Discarded needles and syringes
Find out what to do if you find discarded needles and syringes.
Please don't handle discarded needles, if you find some in a public place tell us as soon as you can. If it's on land that we own and during the day between Monday and Friday, we'll try to arrange collection the same day.
If you find needles on private land please tell the owner of that land because they'll need to report it.
If you find needles that need removing urgently because they're a danger to children or vulnerable people, please do the following:
- make sure you wear disposable gloves
- use tweezers to pick them up
- place the discarded needles in a glass bottle or jar
- put in a safe place locked away
- ask us to collect the bottle for disposal
Please note that we don't search houses or any other properties for needles or syringes.
To report discarded needles and syringes please use our online form and tell us things like:
- exact location, like what area of a park
- the name of the park
- nearest lamp post number
- street name
- number of nearest property
- name of nearest shop
Charges and payment
If you're a business or the owner of private land we may charge you for this service and send you an invoice which you can pay by debit or credit card.
You can find other information and legislation in the following: