As part of our commitment to keep our services running during this difficult time, we have redeployed staff across a number of services into new roles to fulfil essential duties that support our communities and businesses in Barnsley.
Take a look at some of the examples below of our staff who have taken on new roles as part of the redeployment process.
Helping in the community
Ben's story - distributing food parcels
- Job role: Project Manager.
- New role: Emergency Contact Centre call handler
- Responsibilities: helping people who may need extra support to deal with emergency situations due to disruptions caused by coronavirus.
Ben said: I enjoy chatting and helping people including the 67,000 people that the council have identified already.
Emma's story - distributing food parcels
- Job role: Contact and Relationships Officer for Healthier Communities.
- New role: Food Distribution Team.
- Responsibilities: Coordinating volunteers to deliver food parcels across the borough.
Emma said: I'd like to say a huge thank you to the volunteers from the Community Responder scheme. We're so grateful that they've dedicated their time to those who need it most - we couldn't have done it with you.
Ellis's story - distributing PPE
- Job role: Support Worker for Able.
- New role: PPE distributor.
- Responsibilities: ordering and distributing PPE.
Ellis said: our service has truly evolved and we've stepped into our new roles as PPE distributors. We've been extremely flexible, adaptable and have been proud to represent our team. What's really great is that we're all pulling together to help others. PPE is critical, and I feel my work is valued, and relationships inside and outside the council are strong.
Jay, Brian, Phil and Phillip's story - supporting our waste service
- Job role: joiners, fixers and bricklayers at Berneslai Homes.
- New role: fly-tipping, litter and waste collection support.
- Responsibilities: collecting litter and removing domestic waste.
The team said: we're glad that we have been able to be part of these changes by adapting our skills as well as training us in new areas to support the waste teams down at Smithies. The public seems to appreciate us clearing their streets of litter, and this makes the job even more worthwhile as we all need to stick together, make small changes and work as one family to overcome COVID-19.
Chris's story - supporting care leavers during covid-19
- Job role: providing information advice and guidance to support vulnerable young people into education, employment and training.
- New role: supporting the Future Directions service to support care leavers to ensure they are safe during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Responsibilities: visiting care leavers to make sure they are aware of government guidelines on social distancing and isolation and they have what they need to stay safe.
Chris said: we're glad that we have been able to be part of these changes by adapting our skills as well as training us in new areas to support the waste teams down at Smithies. The public seems to appreciate us clearing their streets of litter, and this makes the job even more worthwhile as we all need to stick together, make small changes and work as one family to overcome COVID-19.
Supporting Barnsley business
Alasdair's story - ensuring businesses have the support they need
- Job role: Business Education Alliance Manager.
- New role: Key Account Manager/ Business Advisor.
- Responsibilities: speaking with local businesses and making sure they have support in place.
Alasdair said: My role now includes speaking to business owners to offer support and advice around furlough, business grants and financial advice, just to name a few. It's been great having the opportunity to pick up this role and adapt my previous skills and experience, with a lot of businesses having to close their doors temporarily it's important we support them to re-open where possible when the time arises.
William's story - offering advice and guidance to businesses
- Job role: Project Officer for Superfast South Yorkshire.
- New role: Business support for Enterprising Barnsley.
- Responsibilities: responding to businesses that require further advice and guidance.
William said: business owners have lots of questions at this time, and it's essential to give businesses the information that they need in an accurate and timely manner. With so many businesses being hit hard by Coronavirus, it's nice to play a part in making sure that those affected in Barnsley can access the information and support they need.
Financial support for people
Emma's story - offering employment advice to businesses
Job role: Information, Advice and Guidance worker.
New role: Employment advice and support
Responsibilities: Answering questions around furlough providing benefits advice supporting people to find work.
Emma said: I have been able to see first-hand how our service has been able to help people in Barnsley that have been made redundant, with one customer, in particular, mentioning that without our advice they wouldn’t have known they were able to receive furlough pay of 80 per cent. It’s uplifting to know that we can all help in the battle against coronavirus and that by working together as a community to provide support, we are stronger.
Kate's story - supporting people with universal credit and benefits
Job role: Information, Advice and Guidance worker.
New role: Answering for referral agencies supporting people with employment and training.
Responsibilities: Supporting people with universal credit claims and welfare benefits as well as sourcing online training.
Kate said: I am finding my new role extremely rewarding; I can apply the knowledge I have to help people find courses and training online that is suited to their interests. I can also help people find financial support while they're out of employment. The people I have spoken to have been appreciative of the information and advice we were able to provide and at how quickly we have been able to respond to their requests for help.