We’re working hard to keep all bin collections going, but COVID-19 is causing significant disruption to services due to the impact this is having on our current staffing levels.
We are really sorry for this, but we're asking everyone to please try and avoid contacting us if you possibly can.
The more time our staff spend answering enquiries, the fewer resources we have to help those who desperately need it.
Please use the information on these pages before you call us, and please help keep friends, family and neighbours updated if they are not online and help discourage them from contacting us too.
Please also wash your hands before and after handling wheelie bins to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
Grey and brown bins
If we don't manage to complete a scheduled grey or a brown bin collection, leave them out, we will try and arrange additional collections which are always listed here on our alerts webpages
We'll always do our best to collect all bins if we can, our priority order for collections is:
Green and blue bins
Reluctantly we’ve suspended all of our green bin collections until further notice. We have also reluctantly had to suspend blue bins for the time being, but we hope this will be more temporary. These difficult decisions have been taken because we must make sure we prioritise the collection of grey and brown bins.
We're in the process of training staff from across the council to assist in maintaining our waste service. In the meantime, as our Household Waste Recycling Centres have also had to close, please store your waste cardboard in a dry place until we are able to resume blue bin collections which we will do as soon as possible.
Please compost your green waste at home if possible, and don't overfill green bins. If they become too heavy to move the bins may break when emptied into the bin wagon.
Please do not put green waste into your grey bin.
We understand it’s extremely frustrating if your bin is not collected. However we must urge people to avoid contacting us if they can. The high volume of calls we’re receiving about bins is taking our focus away from helping our most vulnerable residents.
How you can help
- If the bins on your whole street have been missed, please don't report this to us as we'll already be aware of this. Please check our alerts for advice, and if and when we expect to return. Help keep neighbours informed if they're not online.
- If your bin has been missed (not the whole street) and you'd put it out on time, please report this online rather than calling us. Our phone lines are very busy dealing with enquiries from people who are isolated at home; and need some support during the pandemic. Help friends, neighbours and family members do this if they’re not online or need some support.
- Squash plastic bottles and fasten the tops on so they take up less room in your bin. Squash any metal cans and tear up cardboard. This will create extra space in your bins, so if a collection is missed you'll be in a better position to cope until your next collection.
- Please make sure to double-bag your personal waste, such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths, where someone in the household has COVID-19 or is self-isolating.
You can put these in disposable rubbish bags and then into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste. These should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin. Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.
- Up to date information about waste collections can be found in our alerts section, or by following our Facebook page.
Household waste recycling centres
Unfortunately we've had to take the decision to close all household waste recycling centres across the borough with immediate effect.
Despite the guidance to only travel for essential reasons, the sites have remained very busy and crowded and staff have been subjected to abuse when implementing social distancing measures. Queues have formed on the highway increasing the risk of traffic incidents.
As a result, this difficult decision has been made for the safety of staff and the public. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Please keep any waste that you would take to a household waste recycling centre at home until they re-open.
Large item collections service
This service is still open, but please only book a collection if you can't wait until a later time.