We're contacting all taxi drivers with licences that are due to expire in the next month to advise that you can email your documents to us.
If you don't have access to a scanner you can use a high quality photo of any documents that you need to provide.
We'll then contact you by phone to take your payment and issue your licence as a PDF document by email.
As our department is on shut down we cannot get access to our badge printer or make any vehicle plates. Therefore we advise you to carry your paper licence in your vehicle so that it can be shown to anybody if needed.
We'll continue to run this way of working until we can gain access to our equipment and start making plates and badges.
If you need to contact us, please email email@example.com and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
In view of MOT testing stations remaining open, we've decided to clarify the MOT test guidance for taxis.
It's been decided that the six-month extension of the MOT test for cars, motorcycles and light vans does not apply to licensed vehicles.
With the current guidance in place, private cars are mainly being used for short shopping trips as infrequently as possible. However, licensed vehicles are on the road considerably more and in the year between inspections will have accrued a high mileage and suffered considerable wear and tear. Fare paying passengers still have a right to expect licensed vehicles to be well maintained, roadworthy and safe, and as the licensing authority, we have a duty of care to make sure that is the case.
We understand the pressures and difficulties of being self-employed in these unique circumstances. Find out more about government business support due to COVID-19 (coronavirus).
Approved MOT test garages currently open
Below is a list of all garages approved by us which are currently open as normal and providing MOT test facilities.
The list is accurate as of 30 March 2020, but is subject to change.
We'll keep you as informed as possible when updates occur.
- Barnsley Commercial Sales Ltd, 137 Wakefield Road, Barnsley, S71 1ND. Phone: (01226) 391400
- Carlton MOT Centre, Unit 5, Wharncliffe Industrial Estate, Carlton, Barnsley, S71 3HX. Phone: (01226) 724700
- Central Garage, Brocklehurst Avenue, Kendray, Barnsley, S70 3AL. Phone (01226) 281161
- DM Auto, Unit C1 Grove Park, Springvale Road, Grimethorpe, Barnsley S72 7BF. Phone (01226) 710245
- Hunningley MOT Centre, Hunningley Lane, Barnsley, S70 3DT. Phone (01226) 296633
- Trend Motor Services Ltd, Rimmington Road, Wombwell, Barnsley, S73 8DQ. Phone (01226) 340216
- Wyatt Auto Repairs, Unit 18/19 Mitchells Industrial Estate, Wombwell, Barnsley, S73 8HR. Phone (01226) 752830