Paying your council tax / Berneslai Homes rent during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Paying your council tax

Please continue to pay your council tax as normal. You can pay this online, set up a direct debit or find out about other ways to pay.

If you're struggling to pay your council tax because you're unable to work and are on reduced earnings please contact us on (01226) 787787 and select option 2. You may be eligible for a council tax payment holiday for up to three months, which will defer your payments, reduce your financial burden, and allow you time to apply for other financial support which is available.

You can see what benefits you might be entitled to by using the free online benefits calculator. You might also want to make an application for Universal Credit.

Available financial support

If your income's reduced as a result of coronavirus you may be entitled to further financial support, and the government have introduced various support packages depending on your employment status. Details of how to apply for these are below.

Mortgage holiday

Mortgage companies are now offering a three-month payment deferral, which can help you to manage your finances in the short term. You need to contact your lender directly to arrange this.

Furloughed workers

If you're a furloughed worker you're still in contract with your employer but are unable to work as the business has temporarily ceased trading or reduced its workforce as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. It can include any type of contract, including zero hours and temporary contracts, but you must agree this with your employer directly.

This enables your employer to continue to pay 80% of your wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. The scheme is expected to be up and running by the end of April 2020 and you should contact your employer for more details.

Self employed

The government have announced that self-employed workers will be eligible to receive a taxable grant to cover three months at 80% of their monthly earnings (or £2,500 per month, whichever is less) based on their average monthly profit over the last three years.

This will be administered by HMRC and it's expected to be in place by June 2020. It's also been announced that due to the delay if you're self-employed, you may also be eligible for a Business Interruption Loan. For more information and to see the eligibility criteria for this please visit the Enterprising Barnsley website.

Statutory Sick Pay

If you're unable to currently work due to illness, entitlement to Statutory Sick Pay is now available from day one of the illness. Find out more and how to apply.

For more information please call us on (01226) 787787 and select option 2.

Hardship fund

The government has announced a council tax hardship fund which will provide additional support with council tax bills to those who are eligible for local council tax support.

We'll be awarding £150, or the full outstanding balance (whichever is lower) to all current working age claimants of local council tax support. If you're currently entitled to council tax support you don’t need to apply; we'll awarded this automatically and issue you with a revised bill in the next two to four weeks.'

If you've recently put in a claim for council tax support you don't need to contact us as we'll automatically apply it to your claim when we process it. Please don't phone us during this time as our lines are very busy as we try and help as many people as possible.

You can check if you're entitled to council tax support, or apply for council tax support online. You can also sign up for an online account and e-bill where you'll be able to check if you've been awarded council tax support and the amount of council tax you have to pay.

Paying your rent for a Berneslai Homes property

If you’re worried about being able to pay your rent because of COVID-19 (such as if your employer's reduced your hours, or if you're having to self-isolate and are self-employed), please contact Berneslai Homes on (01226) 774613 or (01226) 774685.

Find out more on the Berneslai Homes website.