Maintaining a healthy weight is essential for good health, therefore food is one of the public health priorities (2018-21 Public Health Strategy). It is estimated that obesity is responsible for more than 30,000 deaths each year. On average, obesity deprives an individual of an extra 9 years of life, preventing many individuals from reaching retirement age. In the future, obesity could overtake tobacco smoking as the biggest cause of preventable death (PHE).
Through our Food Plan we aim to tackle the affordability, availability and acceptability of the food we buy and eat. The Food Plan addresses the inequalities related to healthy weight and associated chronic illnesses and seeks to go beyond traditional interventions by focuses on a whole system approach to food to ensure we achieve our ambition of 'accessible quality food for all'.
Tips and advice on eating well
Browse the following links to find more information about how to eat well and stay healthy.
Barnsley Premier Leisure (BPL) Wellbeing Programme (Tier 2)
The Barnsley Wellbeing Programme is a free 12-week initiative that supports you to make positive lifestyle changes to help you manage and control your health.
Leisure activities are recognised as a proven way of helping people with their health problems and medical conditions and can reduce the risks of heart disease and other illnesses. Research shows that physical activity can also boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy as well as reducing your risk of stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
What does the programme include?
The wellbeing programme includes:
- An initial one-hour health assessment at the Metrodome Leisure Centre, Hoyland Leisure Centre, Royston Leisure Centre or Dearneside Leisure Centre.
- A gym tour and programme to start your weight loss journey.
- One-to-one and group support to help increase your awareness of diet, nutrition and physical activity.
- Check-ins on weeks four and eight to review progress. You can contact the team at any time for additional support.
- Diet and nutrition support from an onsite nutritionist throughout the programme.
- A full review and assessment at week 12 to record the progress you have achieved.
- Unlimited access to gym, swim and group exercise classes.
- Upon completion, you will be eligible for our discounted referral membership. Please contact BPL for more information and how to access the programme.
How can I join the programme?
In order to join the programme you must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- A BMI of 25 or above
- Controlled asthma
- Controlled type II diabetes
- Mild anxiety
- Mild depression
- Mild hypertension
- Obesity (BMI 30 or above)
If you meet the criteria above, you can request a referral from your GP or self-refer online.
Who do I contact if I want more information?
For more information about the programme please visit BPL Community Health or contact Joshua McGill at BPL:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 07719910548
- Address: Queens Ground Queens Road, Barnsley S71 1AN
Specialist weight management service (Tier 3)
Barnsley’s specialist weight management service can support obese residents in Barnsley to achieve a healthier weight. The aim of the service is to reduce health risks, improve co-morbidity and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle with an overall improvement in health and wellbeing.