Hospice care for children in Barnsley is provided by Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice.
Care and support are available to families who have a child who has a life limiting condition and is not expected to live into adulthood. The hospice supports the whole family and the help offered depends entirely on their needs, but can cover:
- residential stays in the hospice, where a child can be looked after and mum and dad can have a break too
- day care services
- help in families' own homes
- accompanying families to hospital visits
- looking after brothers and sisters
- end of life care and support
- friendship, and a helping hand whenever it is needed.
'Hospice in the Home' is available now and referrals can be direct from families or via a doctor or other professional worker.
Alternatively the outreach nursing team at Barnsley District General Hospital (BDGH) provides a palliative care service in the home.
According to individual circumstances referrals can be made by any professional who is involved but the consultant will always be contacted. In some cases it is possible for families to contact the hospice directly.
Barnsley District General Hospital
Call: (01226) 730000
Alternatively, please contact your own doctor